Skinny Raspberry Margaritas

Skinny Raspberry Margaritas

Writing your dissertation = need for alcohol.

I could end this post without saying another word, but that would be weird.

I love fruity margaritas. But, there is one problem with most margaritas you get out at your local Mexican restaurant or in the liquor store. Any guesses? Ok, I’ll tell you. Sugar. So much sugar. I HATE drinks that taste like pure sugar. Blech. No good.

And ok, so I lied. There is actually more than one problem with store-bought margaritas. I don’t like mixes. And I don’t like all the calories. So there are three problems (yes, I can count gooder than you think. And yes, I just said gooder).

I love me a Skinnygirl Margarita because it has a nice light taste and it’s not loaded with sugar. I really like fruity margaritas so I attempted to do my own twist on the Skinnygirl Marg with a Skinny Raspberry Margarita. My goal was to use as many natural ingredients as possible and to keep the calorie count low. This margarita comes in around 160 calories. The average calories in a regular margarita can range anywhere from 300-750 calories. So, I consider this a win in the calorie department.

Now, I only used fresh raspberry puree. The raspberry flavor in these margaritas is very subtle. If you want it to be fruitier, then I recommend making more of the puree. Or, you can always add some raspberry liquor or triple sec! If you prefer a frozen marg, just throw all of the ingredients in a blender with some ice and there you go! This margarita is perfect to serve at your Cinco De Mayo party!

Skinny Raspberry Margaritas

Skinny Raspberry Margaritas

Yield: 2 margaritas

• 3 oz. fresh or frozen raspberries
  • 4 oz. silver tequila
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 6 oz. club soda
  • 1 tbs. agave nectar (or to taste)
  • Splash raspberry liquor and/or Triple sec (optional)

1. Add the raspberries to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Place a fine mesh strainer over a bowl. Pour the puree into the strainer to remove the seeds.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients plus the strained raspberry puree into a pitcher. Stir to combine. Serve over ice.

Adapted from The Skinnygirl Margarita

Skinny Raspberry Margaritas

69 Responses to “Skinny Raspberry Margaritas”

Alyssa — April 25, 2012 at 12:57 am

This sounds perfect for sipping while working on your dissertation. I usually don’t order those girly kind of drinks for the same reason…they taste like pure sugar and no matter how much (or little) I drink, I end up with a head ache. I love your Skinny Girl version though! You should totally send your recipe to Bethany from RHWoNY! :)

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

Ha! I would love to make a cool few million bucks by sending her this recipe, lol. Though, she’s probably already thought about it!

Tina@flourtrader — April 25, 2012 at 4:57 am

The only place I know of that has a less sweet margarita is TGI Fridays. Because of that reason, I always try to go there if I want some drinks and appetizers. I think they do use agave also. Getting out to that location is a rarity thought, so the idea of making these at home is a great one. Also, I like that this is raspberry instead of the standard. Glad you took the time to share this in the midst of working on your dissertation!

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 12:30 pm

I’ve never had TGI Friday’s margaritas. I’ll have to remember that!

Choc Chip Uru — April 25, 2012 at 6:48 am

This margarita looks too pretty – 2 yrs too young though :P

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

Aw, well, you’ll be able to enjoy one soon enough! :)

Becki's Whole Life — April 25, 2012 at 7:18 am

I am right with you on the skinny drink front. Mixes make me sick from all of the sugar and I love a good pure drink like this anyways – think it tastes so much better. I do like the Skinnygirl drinks, but I always think I could make them myself. I will try this. My hubby just bought some Patron last weekend so I think we have everything…it sounds absolutely wonderful!

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 12:33 pm

Thanks, Becki! I think the more natural, the better! And the Skinnygirl drinks are so easy to make at home!

Liz — April 25, 2012 at 7:28 am

Oh, yeah!!!! Margaritas are my favorite cocktail…and I LOVE your raspberry version!!! Beautiful.

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 12:33 pm

Thanks, Lizzy!

Kiri W. — April 25, 2012 at 8:28 am

These look wonderful! Can’t believe they’re so skinnylicious :)

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

Ha! Thanks, Kiri!

Kaitlin — April 25, 2012 at 8:33 am

I agree! I hate when margaritas taste like pure sugar or just like sour mix. Yuck. You margaritas look amazing! So refreshing!

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 12:35 pm

Thank you, Kaitlin. I really hate sugary drinks. It totally ruins a drink for me!

Lisa @ Sweet 2 Eat Baking — April 25, 2012 at 10:24 am

Wow, your maragrita looks awesome. Its calling me through the screen!

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 12:36 pm

Ha! Wish I could pass one to you through the screen!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — April 25, 2012 at 10:35 am

Oh my yumminess! I looove margaritas! This low cal version is perfect for summer! It sounds so refreshing…I wish It wasn’t 1030am! Hah

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 12:36 pm

Haha, yeah, 10:30am is a little early. I say any time after noon is acceptable, lol.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — April 25, 2012 at 11:26 am

This looks fabulous! I want to make one with blueberries (since I just bought a MASSIVE box).

I have the same problem with store-bought mixes. They are filled with sugar and don’t even taste good!

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

Ohh, a blueberry marg sounds amazing too! Please make one for your blog!

Cassie — April 25, 2012 at 11:44 am

You totally deserve these, Stephanie! I love margs!!

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

Thanks, Cassie! Me too!

Renee @ Tortillas and Honey — April 25, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Margaritas are my absolute favorite drink! I have to admit that I can’t get into the Skinny Girl drinks, they taste too artificial for me. You should hide this recipe because they might be tearing down your door for this! This is going straight into my recipe box and will be making soon! Thank you, thank you! :-)

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

I do understand that, Renee. And actually, they say they are all-natural, but they really aren’t. I know they add sodium benzoate as a preservative. This marg is so easy to make and has a nice fresh flavor. Totally worth the 10-15 minutes to make it!

kale — April 25, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I agree! Too much sugar in the pre-mixed drinks. Blech indeed. This on the other hand looks perfect and oh so purty! :)

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 3:33 pm

Thanks, Kale! Glad you agree!

Baker Street — April 25, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Oh I surely see the need of some drinkage in order to power through that dissertation and you my friend have found the perfect fix. Lovely clicks as usual.

And good luck on your dissertation. :)

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

Thanks!! :)

Emily @ Life on Food — April 25, 2012 at 3:26 pm

What a great idea! I love the SkinnyGirl Margaritas too. They are actually the only margaritas I like. I will be trying this one out. Have you tried the Sangria yet?

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

I’ve tried both the sangria and the white cosmo and I have to say I wasn’t impressed with either one. The sangria has a weird aftertaste to me. And the cosmo tastes really strong. I have to add cranberry juice or something to it to really drink it and that kind of defeats the purpose, lol.

Ramona — April 25, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Slurrrrrrp!! It looks luscious and divine!! Gorgeous pictures too! I hope your dissertation only makes you drink champagne… in celebration!! :)

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

Thanks, Ramona! I hope so too!!

Cucina49 — April 25, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I am always amazed at how many calories margaritas contain. Your lightened-up version looks delicious!

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 8:19 pm

Me too. I assume most of the calories come from all the sugar.

Emily Lynne {The Best of this Life} — April 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm

How refreshing and intoxicating does that look!! Yum! I much prefer homemade drinks for that very same reason – I’m not used to the kind of sugar overload at restaurants – so it gives me an instant headache when I sip on a drink that uses a mix or syrup. Great post + pictures!

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

Me too, Emily. They give me headaches and I don’t enjoy them at all!

wok with ray — April 25, 2012 at 6:22 pm

What a beautiful-looking margarita! I wouldn’t mind having a couple of rounds. Okay, make that three. Thank you for sharing.

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 8:21 pm

Haha, I could drink 3 of these as well!

Colleen — April 25, 2012 at 7:02 pm

This looks beautifully refreshing. I’ll take a mocktail version please!

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

I think this would be great with just the club soda too.

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — April 25, 2012 at 9:06 pm

This look amazing. So refreshing and sweet and delicious. I could absolutely go for one right now! P.S. Good luck on the dissertation!

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 11:49 pm

Thank you, Kim!

Baking Serendipity — April 25, 2012 at 9:36 pm

This will be all over my summer! I love the Skinny Girl margaritas, but the raspberry flavor (and homemade quality) of these is exactly perfect. Good luck with that dissertation!

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 11:54 pm

Thanks! I think they will be all over my summer too!

Anne@FromMySweetHeart — April 25, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I LOVE fruity cocktails….but like you….I don’t like them so sweet that …..well….let’s face it….we want the alcohol to shine through! This looks like the perfect balance….and I love the natural ingredients! Very pretty, too!!!!

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 11:55 pm

Thanks, Anne! :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — April 25, 2012 at 9:56 pm

This looks delicious! Love a good skinny girl drink, but a fruity one is even better!

• Stephanie replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 11:56 pm

Thanks, Erin! I tend to love the fruity stuff too.

LP @dishclips — April 26, 2012 at 12:19 am

This drink looks refreshing and, since it’s skinny, it’s guilt free. Thanks for sharing!

• Stephanie replied: — April 27th, 2012 @ 1:00 am

Thank you, LP!

Tina (PinayInTexas) — April 26, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Oh, this looks so refreshing! It’s calling my name!

• Stephanie replied: — April 27th, 2012 @ 1:01 am

Thanks so much, Tina!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — April 26, 2012 at 12:22 pm

That looks way better than any store-bought margarita too! And I was just thinking about Cinco de Mayo Last night!

• Stephanie replied: — April 27th, 2012 @ 1:00 am

Thanks, Jen!

Alysia @ Slim Sanity — April 26, 2012 at 5:25 pm

This would go great with some of the spicy meals we’ve been having, haha

• Stephanie replied: — April 27th, 2012 @ 12:59 am

It is the perfect quencher for those spicy meals!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — April 29, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Wow, a skinny margarita. Yum! I like it because it means I can have more margaritas. It’s a win-win situation.

Betty Bates — April 30, 2012 at 3:44 am

Wow, a new way to enjoy margarita! I guess I have to taste your own version. I love the pink color, yum!

• Stephanie replied: — April 30th, 2012 @ 5:03 pm

Thanks!

Megan (Country Cleaver} — May 3, 2012 at 9:31 am

This is positively brilliant! I love my margaritas but totally can’t justify that extra 400 calories in sugar and the residual feelings of regret afterwards when I calculate how many extra minutes I have to spend on the elliptical to shed that sugar goo.
    Good luck with your dissertation!

Thomas — June 8, 2012 at 8:06 pm

At least I can tell myself it’s less calories. That way I can follow it up with ice cream ;-)

Lew Clarke — July 13, 2012 at 11:00 am

Looks delicious and would go down great in this hot summer. Thanks for the low calorie drink mix! Cheers.

Anna @ hiddenponies — February 23, 2013 at 12:12 am

How did I not know about this important national day?! Looks delicious and more-ish :)

1. Pingback: Cinco de Mayo Treats

2. Pingback: Recipe Roundup – May 2012 – Week 2 « A Merry Journey

3. Pingback: Skinny Strawberry Margaritas - Eat. Drink. Love.

4. Pingback: Cinco de Mayo Recipe Round-Up - Eat. Drink. Love.

5. Pingback: Red Raspberry Rascal Cocktail | recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com — Family Fresh Cooking

6. Pingback: Southwestern Chicken Sandwich - Eat. Drink. Love.