It’s almost the weekend and I’m so ready for it! What better way to kick off warmer spring weather and the weekend than with a fresh grapefruit margarita?!
I love a good margarita, but I am pretty picky about them. I’m not a fan of the sugary margarita mixes. Nothing beats a margarita made with fresh squeezed citrus juice! I love the taste of fresh grapefruit juice and it makes for such a refreshing and not-to-sweet cocktail!
This marg is pretty simple to make. All you need to do is juice a grapefruit and a lime and the rest comes together really quickly. I like this margarita on the rocks, but you could also toss it in the blender if you like blended margaritas better.
My favorite way to garnish this margarita is with a chili sugar rim! It adds the perfect touch of sweetness to balance out the tangy grapefruit juice and you get a touch of heat from the chili powder. I recommend using turbinado sugar (raw sugar) if you have it. I was out and used granulated sugar so either works, I just prefer turbinado sugar.
If you are trying to watch your sugars, you can always leave out the chili sugar rim or could even do a chili salt rim if you would prefer!
- 3 ounces freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 1/2 ounces silver tequila
- 1 ounce Cointreau (triple sec)
- 1/2 lime juiced (or to taste)
- agave nectar to sweeten, to taste
- grapefruit or lime wedges
Optional chili sugar rim
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- If using the chili sugar rim, in a shallow bowl, stir together the sugar and chili powder.
- Rub a wet paper towel around the rim of a glass. Dip the the rim into the chili sugar mixture until coated. Set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker, add in the grapefruit juice, tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, and agave to taste. Shake to combine.
- Add ice to the glass. Pour the margarita over ice. Garnish with a small wedge of grapefruit or lime. Serve.
Serving Size:includes chili sugar rim
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310 Carbohydrates: 40g Sugar: 29g