It is a very important day this weekend…Mother’s Day! I’m bummed that I can’t be with my mom this year since I have moved so far away. I have always loved to get up early and make my mom breakfast. It’s usually a spread of pancakes and fruit, but why not some muffins this time?
These banana chocolate chip muffins are perfect to make for your mom or family this weekend. They are made with whole wheat flour and are lightly sweetened with light brown sugar. Oh, and have we talked about the crumb topping yet?! We haven’t?!
I think I want to put this crumb topping on everything! It is just magical on these muffins and it makes them a little more fancy than a regular muffin. Your mom deserves a fancy muffin.
- 6 tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbs. light brown sugar
- 1 tbs. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbs. all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and the brown sugar. Mix in the mashed banana, vanilla, and the egg.
- In a smaller bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and the salt. Adding a little bit at a time, pour the flour mixture in with the wet ingredients. Pour in the milk and the chocolate chips. Mix the batter together until everything is just combined.
- For the crumb topping, stir together the melted butter and the sugars and the cinnamon. Mix in the flour until well-combined. Set aside.
- Fill each cavity of the muffin pan with the batter about 3/4 of the way full. Using your hands, break up the crumb topping mixture and spread evenly over the tops of each muffin. Bake the muffins for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.