Chocolate Banana Muffins
We have been quite a sickly family as of late. I’ve been sick for a good three weeks now, got my husband sick, and my little girl is also sick. We just can’t get better! Our appetites have been pretty cruddy too. Maddie barely wants to eat or drink anything since she got sick. I had a bunch of bananas sitting on my counter that were perfectly ripened so decided to make these Chocolate Banana Muffins and they have been one of the only things my toddler will happily share with me!
I adapted this recipe from my Chocolate Zucchini Muffins recipe. If you haven’t made those muffins yet, you must! The positive reviews speak for themselves! Like the zucchini muffins, these banana muffins do not contain any butter. Instead I use coconut oil and protein-rich Greek yogurt. And compared to your typical bakery muffin, these muffins contain far less sugar. Best of all though? They are rich, moist, and perfectly chocolatey!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large ripened bananas, mashed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (can also use vegetable oil)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugars, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and the cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, egg, coconut (or vegetable) oil, yogurt, milk, and the vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly amongst each cavity (I used a large cookie scoop). Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let muffins cool. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Nutrition (1 muffin): Calories: 201; Fat: 7.4g; Carbs: 30.5g; Sugar: 14.6g; Protein: 5.3g
Serving Size:1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 201Total Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 31gSugar: 15gProtein: 5g