There is something about winter time that just winter that makes us eat less fruits and veggies. Most fruits are consumed in the form of pie and cookies. Not totally a bad thing, but you know, not so great either.
I have been trying to eat more fruits and veggies since the holidays, but I know it’s still not enough so I have been trying to get more in though smoothies.
The first time I made a green smoothie years ago, I kind of wanted to barf. To mask out the taste of spinach, I used only an apple and maybe some pear and it just didn’t do it for me. After lots of tweaking, I came to realize that I was just not a green smoothie kind of gal.
So, what kind of gal am I? A purple monster smoothie gal (or a purplish brownish one, whatevs). I like berries in my smoothies. I’m okay with that.
- 1 small banana, sliced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt (regular or Greek)
- 1 cup frozen berries (I used mixed berries)
- 1 tbs. chia seeds (optional)
- orange juice or water to thin the smoothie out, if needed
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Feel free to experiment with this smoothie. You can also use pineapple and/or apple if you don't want to use the banana.