Browned Butter Gnocchi with Broccoli
Brown butta…say it with me now!
Is there anything better in this world than browned butter?
No, I didn’t think so. It’s sort of magical really. And it makes every dish 100 times better. Though I have typically only used it in baking, I have been wanting to use it in more savory dishes.
Brown butter is wonderful on so many dishes, but it is just ridiculously good on this gnocchi and broccoli. I love gnocchi. Those soft little pillows of potatoes are bites of heaven. Gnocchi is usually pretty filling for me, but I just couldn’t stop eating this dish! It was that addictive. Gnocchi is a blank slate for any type of sauce so obviously brown butter is the perfect match. And another thing about browned butter is that because of that perfect flavor, you really don’t need a lot of it for your dish to taste good. I threw a bunch of broccoli on top for good measure too. If you throw a bunch of broccoli on top, then that totally negates the brown butter all together. Right? I’m right, right?! If you want to be even better, toss in some spinach or your other favorite veggies. You could also add chicken if desired.
- 2 (16-ounce) packages prepared gnocchi
- 5 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbs. pine nuts, toasted
- shaved or grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese or Parmesan
- Prepare the gnocchi according to the package instructions. During the last minute of cooking, add in the broccoli. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over medium high heat. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the butter has browned, stirring constantly.
- Add in the gnocchi, garlic, broccoli, and black pepper. Toss until the gnocchi is well-coated in the brown butter sauce. Sprinkle some of the cheese on top and serve!
Recipe from Cooking Light
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 142mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g