S’mores Hot Chocolate

S'mores Hot Chocolate

So…S’mores hot chocolate. I don’t know what it is about s’mores, but they just remind me of childhood and summer nights. I didn’t have them all that often when I actually think about it, but I do remember summer nights at my dad’s house in the backyard where we would all sit around and enjoy s’mores. I love summer nights in Ohio. Thought I won’t be spending much time outdoors this winter in Ohio, I can still get my fix with this s’mores hot chocolate!

When you think about it, when you make regular hot chocolate and top it with marshmallows, you’re like already three quarters of the way there. Just throw in some graham cracker crumbs and toast those marshmallows and you are done. You’ve got s’mores hot chocolate. So simple. I guess this isn’t really all that inventive, but who cares?! It’s so good.

There is something about this version. It’s fancy. So much fancier. Toasted marshmallows might be one of the greatest things ever. I love charred marshmallows. The drizzle of chocolate syrup on graham cracker on top just sets it over the top. This is my ultimate hot chocolate recipe!

If you want to make this more grown-up friendly, add a splash of Kahlua or Bailey’s.

S'mores Hot Chocolate

S'mores Hot Chocolate

Yield: serves 2

• 3 cups milk + 1/4 cup (any kind will do)
  • 1 cup milk or dark chocolate chips
  • sugar to taste
  • graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
  • chocolate syrup (for garnish)
  • splash of Kahlua or Bailey's (optional)

1. Using the 1/4 cup milk, rub some of the milk along the rim of each mug. Pour some graham cracker crumbs onto a plate. Dip the mugs into the crumbs until the rims are well-lined.
  2. In a saucepan, heat the remaining milk on medium heat until heated through. Add in the chocolate and whisk until melted. Add sugar to taste. Pour the cocoa into 2 mugs.
  3. Sprinkle 1/4 of the marshmallows on top of each mug. Using a kitchen torch, toast the marshmallows until brown. If you don't have a torch, you can use your broiler. Place the mugs on a baking sheet and broil until the marshmallows are toasted.
  4. Drizzle some chocolate syrup over the top and sprinkle with extra graham cracker crumbs if desired.

S'mores Hot Chocolate

Note: The mugs pictured here are from Pier 1.

19 Responses to “S’mores Hot Chocolate”

Ramona — December 10, 2012 at 7:37 am

Brilliant!! I must save this one for my kids. :) They love both hot chocolate and s’mores… so it’s a winner. I love your holiday mug with the cutest penguin ever!! Just drinking it in that mug must be a happy experience. :)

• Stephanie replied: — December 10th, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

Thanks, Ramona! The mugs totally make this more fun!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — December 10, 2012 at 7:59 am

First I have to tell you I love the mugs!!! They are happy cups! Your drink sounds amazing! I just love hot chocolate!!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — December 10, 2012 at 9:05 am

I love s’mores in any form! This is my kind of hot chocolate! :)

sally @ sallys baking addiction — December 10, 2012 at 9:18 am

That is the most adorable mug EVER! my boyfriend was a huge penguin for halloween (don’t ask!) and I think he would adore a mug like this – well, maybe I would love it more but you know what I mean. And I’d happily take a penguin mug with a giant serving of smores hot chocolate. Kind of like the summertime in a winter drink. :) Perfect. Splash of Bailey’s? I’m on it. ;)

Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection — December 10, 2012 at 9:51 am

I have a serious weakness for s’mores. I love that you made a hot chocolate version! MUST give this a try soon!!

Peggy — December 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I already have everything I need for this! Looks like we’re in for a treat tonight =)

Choc Chip Uru — December 10, 2012 at 1:56 pm

God that looks like indulgence city :)

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — December 10, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Those mugs are ADORABLE. And I love the s’moresy spin on hot cocoa!

Emily @ Life on Food — December 11, 2012 at 8:07 am

Hehe, I am glad to see the update with Pier 1. They are so cute!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — December 11, 2012 at 8:49 am

Cute glasses and DIVINE hot chocolate!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — December 11, 2012 at 4:33 pm

CUTEST MUGS EVER.

Jennie @themessybakerblog — December 12, 2012 at 11:31 am

I like this fancied up version, and I especially like the added booze. Yum!

Nami | Just One Cookbook — December 12, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Wish my hot chocolate is this cute and delicious! You even have a perfect mug for this. :D

Anita at Hungry Couple — December 14, 2012 at 11:52 pm

I want this. I want this with and without the Bailey’s but I want this!

Maria — December 24, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Awesome! This looks so amazing, I’m so glad I found your website through the cookie swap!

1. Pingback: Healthy Way To Cook December 13: National Cocoa Day - Healthy Way To Cook

2. Pingback: Warm Winter Drinks | creative gift ideas & news at catching fireflies

3. Pingback: 23 Winter Warmer Drink Recipes