Homemade Chocolate Syrup
I haven’t really had many pregnancy cravings which I guess is totally weird to some people. I’m mostly eating all of the same exact things I ate before, except maybe more of it! Pickles? No. Ice cream? Not really. Pickles with ice cream? Heck no! Nothing weird going on here.
I have, however, been enjoying a glass of milk every night as my dessert. And oh yeah, it has to be chocolate milk. And while yeah, sure, I could just buy it..except there’s one thing…have you looked at the back of that chocolate syrup bottle lately? Because I did and it’s kind of gross. There are so many ingredients that you can’t even pronounce. No good! So I decided to make my own and it’s so ridiculously easy, I’m not sure I will ever buy the bottled stuff again. It only requires sugar, cocoa powder, water, vanilla, and salt. Yup, that’s it. No artificial stuff here! If you can swing it, I recommend buying a good quality cocoa powder too as I think it does make a difference. You can find all sorts on Amazon.
This chocolate syrup is perfect for stirring into milk or as a topping for ice cream or your other favorite desserts!
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the sugar and cocoa powder. Stir in the water and heat over medium high heat. Bring the mixture to a light boil, whisking occasionally. Lower the heat to medium low and let simmer until the mixture is slightly reduced and starts to thicken. Stir in the vanilla and salt. Remove from the heat and let cool for 15-20 minutes before transferring to a jar or container. The syrup should thicken as it cools and I recommend refrigerating it overnight to allow it to really thicken.
- Stir into milk or drizzle on ice cream or your favorite dessert!
Serving Size:2 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 27mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 2g