Gingerbread Hot Chocolate
I have one more gingerbread recipe for you guys before this week is over! While of you are enjoying a cold and snowy Christmas, I will be enjoying a sunny and 80 degree Christmas. I know for some of you, you would much rather have a warm Christmas but being from Cleveland, it just doesn’t seem right to me! Especially because when it’s colder, I can justify drinking more of this gingerbread hot chocolate!
Though we use usually use pre-mixed packets for hot chocolate, making your own is super easy and you can make it as rich and sweet as you want it to be.
To add gingerbread flavor, I used my gingerbread syrup. For the chocolate, I used a good quality milk chocolate. Using solid chocolate over cocoa powder will give you a richer hot chocolate I think. Since the milk chocolate was already sweetened, I didn’t feel the need to add any extra sugar, but feel free to if you want it to be sweeter! I would love to be drinking a big mug of this Christmas morning while opening gifts with the family.
For the gingerbread syrup:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the hot chocolate:
- 2 cups milk (any kind you prefer)
- 3 tablespoons gingerbread syrup (can add more if desired)
- 1/2 cup good quality milk chocolate chips
- sugar (add as much as you want to reach desired sweetness)
- Optional garnishes: marshmallows, whipped cream, crushed cookies
For the syrup:
- In a small saucepan, heat the water, brown sugar, molasses, ginger, and cinnamon on medium heat and bring to a light boil, lower the heat, and let simmer for about 8 minutes, stirring every so often. Remove from the heat and let cool. Syrup will thicken. You can make the syrup in advance and store in a container in the fridge.
For the hot chocolate:
- Add the milk to a saucepan over medium heat. Once heated, pour in the chocolate chips and stir until it is fully melted. Then stir in the gingerbread syrup. Add sugar if desired.
If you want to use cocoa powder, use about 1/4 cup. If you do this, you will probably want to sugar.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 477Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 179mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 1gSugar: 47gProtein: 12g