Strawberry Soda Floats

Strawberry Soda Floats

So we got this notice on our door yesterday from our complex titled “Updates and remainders (yes, it said remainders): Do not, under any circumstance pay children to take your trash to the dumpster. The children are not taking the trash to the dumpster; they are placing it in the shrubs, behind buildings, and in the parking lot! This is unacceptable and dangerous!”

Um, really?

“Hey Billy, can you please take out the trash?” “Oh, sure, Mom”. Billy then proceeds to take the garbage and just chucks towards the nearest bush. Or, he just tosses it straight into the parking lot and just leaves it there, goes back in and demands that he gets his two dollars. The thought of this happening makes me laugh all the way down in my soul. What I also want to know is how the complex found this to be such a serious issue…

It’s a lovely Wednesday afternoon and Billy is asked to take out the trash. So, he takes that garbage bag and finds the finest bush on the property where he can place said trash. Just as he is throwing away his trash, one of the maintenance guys spots him, “Hey, you, kid, why are you throwing that garbage in the bushes?” “Oh, ummmm, I’m just throwing away the garbage…You mean to tell me this isn’t where the trash goes?? I get two dollars…”.

Seriously, I’m still laughing.

If you want to give your kids a nice treat for throwing away your garbage in the bushes, this strawberry soda float is perfect. I think I am going to change the name of this blog to Eat. Drink. Strawberry. because seriously, this is like the gazillionith strawberry recipe I have posted, but who doesn’t love strawberries?! I might go as far to say that I like these more than a root beer float…I know. It’s serious.

Strawberry Soda Floats

Strawberry Soda Floats

Yield: serves 4

Prep Time: 15 minutes (plus chill time)

• 1 pint strawberries, stems removed
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • vanilla or strawberry ice cream
  • club soda

1. Place the strawberries into a blender and puree until smooth.
  2. Heat a sauce pan on medium heat, pour in the strawberry puree. Stir in the sugar and water. Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat and let simmer for about 3 minutes.
  3. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer over a bowl or large glass. Discard the solids and let the syrup chill for at least a few hours.
  4. To make the floats, pour about 1/4 cup of the syrup into a glass. Add a scoop (or two) of the ice cream and then top with the club soda. Stir to combine and then serve!

Strawberry Soda Floats

38 Responses to “Strawberry Soda Floats”

Choc Chip Uru — September 7, 2012 at 3:26 am

Haha that is only slightly weird :P
    But good on you I think Billy would love this in exchange for choring!

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:58 am

It’s so random, isn’t it?! I was like, what the heck?!

Baker Street — September 7, 2012 at 3:38 am

Strawberries are out of season for me but I’m surely trying this with some blueberries tonight. :)

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:45 am

Ohh, blueberries also sound great!

Ramona — September 7, 2012 at 6:30 am

LOL!!! That darn Billy and his trash escapades! LOL! You certainly had me chuckling with the visuals of that. Hopefully AZ will be trash free in the bushes for you. :) I love this float… it makes me think of a 50’s soda shop. :) Have a great weekend. :)

Ramona — September 7, 2012 at 6:31 am

PS.. What lighting do you use for your photos? They are always so bright and cheery. :)

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:48 am

Hey Ramona, I try to use the best natural light I can get by having a small table set up next to a window. For when the natural light isn’t so great, I also use Cowboy studio lights as well as a table light. You can find both in my Amazon store! The Cowboy Studio lights are only about $60 and you get three lights and they can easily be folded and put away. The Lowell EGO table light is pricier, but also works well.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — September 7, 2012 at 7:47 am

To funny of a story!!! Your float looks out of this world! I love strawberry floats!!! Yum!!

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:48 am

Thanks, Jennifer!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — September 7, 2012 at 10:33 am

ahahhahahaah. Oh funny. This looks amazing though!

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:48 am

Thanks girlfran!

Anna @ hiddenponies — September 7, 2012 at 11:50 am

LOL, I love it! What a neighbourhood problem :) These floats look amazing, perfect for the second hot spell we’re having right now!

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:49 am

I know, right? It’s a very important issue.

Cassie — September 7, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I love how simple this is. Love it!

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:49 am

Thanks, Cassie! They are so easy to make!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — September 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Eat. Drink. Strawberry. I love it! I am a sucker for a good ole’ root beer float, but never would think up a strawberry float! What a creative recipe. And it’s SO SO simple!

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:49 am

Thank you, Sally! My mind is already thinking about what other types of fruity floats I could make!

Abby — September 7, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I read that and literally laughed until tears were pooling in my eyes. SO. FUNNY.

I’m imagining this event happening at our apt complex. Oh, the trauma. Do not pay the children.

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:50 am

Lol, I’m so glad you enjoyed the story! I’m still laughing about it! :)

RavieNomNoms — September 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm

That is sooooo great! Totally laughing at my desk right now!!!

This float looks amazing! I was a freak about vanilla and strawberry when I was little. This would have been perfect for me!

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:50 am

Thanks, Raven! It’s just too funny.

Amy @ fragrantvanillacake — September 7, 2012 at 10:37 pm

These sound wonderful Stephanie! So much better than root beer floats, which is all I encountered as a child.

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:51 am

Thanks, Amy! I’ve only ever had root beer floats too. I think this strawberry one is my new fave though!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 7, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Haha that is hilarious! I could just imagine the little kids throwing it in the bushes and hurrying home.

As for these floats – AMAZING! I’ll definitely indulge in one of these tonight – I had a long work week!

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:52 am

Lol, I know! They agree to take some old lady’s trash out and just throw in the bushes after she shuts the door. I can’t even handle it!

Catherine Mae — September 8, 2012 at 8:34 am

I know a bonus way to make this even better! At Safeway (and other stores I believe) there is an ice cream brand called Dairy Glen (it’s a 2 gallon bucket sort of thing) and they have a flavor called Strawberry Sundae, it’s a vanilla ice cream with ribbons of strawberry jam (or something like strawberry syrup) and if you use that you can have the best of both worlds! Vanila ice cream and strawberry!

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:52 am

Oh Catherine, that is a brilliant idea!!

Emily @ Life on Food — September 8, 2012 at 1:57 pm

We used to get weird postings for our apartment complex too – misspellings and all. This drink looks fabulous! Simple, cool, flavorful! I need to use club soda more.

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:53 am

It just amazes me how many misspellings there are. And they write these things in Word too, haven’t they heard of spell check?!

Julie @ Table for Two — September 8, 2012 at 9:56 pm

HAHAHA who does that?! lmao, that’s hilarious. these strawberry soda floats look like a great summer send off drink!

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:54 am

I guess lazy kids, lol!!

Liz — September 9, 2012 at 7:11 am

Oh, yeah, I’d take these over a root beer float every time! And I can’t wait to see your next notice from the apt. complex…LOL.

Nicole @ The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie — September 9, 2012 at 11:26 am

These are really adorable! My hubby would love them – he’s a big fan of root beer floats and he loves strawberries :)

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:56 am

Thank you, Nicole! They are so tasty!

Colleen, The Smart Cookie Cook — September 9, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Hahaha that is kind of hilarious. Thank goodness you found out about that “scandal” before those youngsters tricked you too haha! This float looks beautiful an delicious. I could go for one right now!

• Stephanie replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 12:57 am

Thanks, Colleen. It sounds like quite the scandal.

Ridwan — September 11, 2012 at 7:20 am

What a beautiful and refreshing drinks,,,,,and I’m still laughing ,Funny I got two dollars,so I can throw everywhere :)

Ashley - Baker by Nature — September 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm

It’s still warm enough here in the afternoons to crave something cold and refreshing. I’ll be trying this soon!