Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Hi friends! First, I want to apologize for not posting my regular two weekly recipes these past few weeks. Life has been so crazy! Maddie is starting preschool and we’ve had to do some classroom visits for her orientation. We also celebrated Natalie’s first birthday last week and Maddie also started ballet! Between all of this and work, I’ve been exhausted. I’m back with a seriously delicious recipe today though!
I’ve made stroganoff recipes before, but only ever with the good ol’ cream of mushroom soup cans, onion soup mixes, etc. and I mean, yeah, it’s still yummy, but I don’t really like to use all of that processed stuff if I can avoid it so I’ve been working to create a more natural beef stroganoff recipe and this Instant Pot version is simply divine!
Okay, so the first time I made this, I used chuck (pot) roast, and while the meat was super tender, if you have never tried cubing a pot roast, it is NOT easy. I used kitchen shears and that made it a lot easier (after struggling with a sharp serrated knife at first), but I felt like I wasn’t really getting as much meat as I should have while trimming. So, the second time, I used stew beef and honestly it’s so much easier and still tender and delish! You can use a better cut like chuck roast if you want to though.
Like I said, this version is free of the canned and packaged seasoning mixes! Just beef broth, dried spices, and some sour cream and cream cheese at the end. I’ve also made this with and without the cream cheese and while it’s not totally necessary, I think it makes the stroganoff a bit more creamy and tangy. Oh, and I did add mushrooms my first time, but truthfully, my husband and I are not big mushroom people so I’ve also left them out the next couple of times, so feel free to leave them out if you are not a fan!
If you don’t have an Instant Pot and you still want to make this, you can certainly cook it in your slow cooker! Just brown the beef on the stove and then cook on low for about 4 hours!
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Approx. 2 pounds cubed stew beef (or cubed chuck roast)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup light sour cream (you can add less if desired)
- 3 ounces plain cream cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup milk or water
- approx. 10 ounces medium egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute. Add the olive oil and heat. Add the cubed beef to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Saute the beef until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the beef broth and wine (if using it), followed by the onion and garlic powders, thyme, parsley, and oregano and stir in with the beef. Cover and lock the lid and be sure that the valve is set to sealing.
- Set the Instant Pot to Manual (high pressure) and the timer to 15 minutes.
- While the beef is cooking, prepare the egg noodles according to the package directions. When done, drain. Stir in the butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Once the timer ends on the Instant Pot, let the pot do a natural release for 10-15 minutes. Quick release any remaining pressure if needed. Switch the IP to the saute function. Stir in the sour cream and cream cheese until well-combined. In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch (or flour) and milk (or water) until dissolved. Stir in with the beef and cook until thickened. Season with more salt and pepper to taste if desired. Serve the stroganoff over the egg noodles.