One of my husband’s most favorite things in the world are “hot and toasty sandwiches.” Yes, that is a direct quote. If you have ever been to Brio, they have this chicken panini with spicy mayo that is really tasty. My husband loves it and I figured it would be pretty easy to replicate at home and I was right! I know I was right because throughout the rest of the night, Hubs said multiple times how much he liked the sandwich.
Hot and toasty sandwiches win his heart. I think the next time I want to buy a new Coach bag, I am going to stuff him with hot and toasty sandwiches first. He’ll be sure to say yes…
Hot, toasty, bacon, chicken, spicy chipotle mayo. What’s not to like?!
I tried to lighten up my version by using turkey bacon, reduced-fat cheese, and reduced-fat mayo made with olive oil. But, you could really use anything you want to use for this.
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup mayo (I used reduced fat mayo with olive oil)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp. adobo seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast (I used shredded rotisserie chicken)
- 4 slices of cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tomato, sliced into 4 slices
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4 slices of bread (I used Italian)
- Add all ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Turn the oven to broil. Place the tomato slices on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place into the oven and roast the tomatoes until the top is slightly charred. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat a panini grill or grill pan on medium heat. Spread a little bit of butter on one side of each piece of the bread.
- Evenly distribute the chicken, cheese, bacon, and tomatoes on top of two slices, butter side down.
- On the other pieces of bread, spread some of the mayo on the side that is not buttered. Place on top of the sandwich. Place the sandwiches on the grill. If you are using a grill pan, place a heavy pan on top of each sandwich. Cook for about 2-3 minutes until the bread is golden brown. Gently flip the sandwich over and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the other side is golden brown.