Whew, I don’t know about you guys, but I am SO glad to have today off. I definitely needed an extra day this weekend to get things done around the house, do some work, and catch up on some of the sleep I lost over the last two weeks while I battled the plague! I am finally feeling mostly better, but I still have a bad cough and my asthma has really been acting up. And the fact that is is cold here certainly doesn’t help! I’m hoping that I will have kicked this cough before I have to fly back to Cali later this week!
So, this pasta. Remember last week how I complained about how crazy crowded my grocery store always is? Yeah, well, my original plan for this pasta was to use chicken sausage and kale. However, due to the madness at the grocery store, they were out of both the sausage and the kale!! What the heck?!! So, I had to change things up. I sauteed some chicken and used spinach instead which worked really well in this dish, but you could easily swap out the chicken for any sausage or even fish. And as for the veggies, I just used spinach, but this would be great with any combo of spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, kale, etc.! So many possibilities! And you all know my love for lemon, so this pasta was a winner in my book!
Lemony Chicken and Spinach Pasta
– 1/2 lb. pasta (I used Dreamfield’s penne to keep the carbs down)
– 1/4 cup chopped onion
– 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
– 3/4 cup skim milk
– 1/2 cup chicken broth
– 1 tbs. flour
– 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
– 1 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
– 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
– 2 lemons
– 3 cups fresh spinach
– 1 lb. cooked chicken, diced or sliced into thin strips*
– salt and pepper to taste
1. In a pot, cook pasta according the the package instructions. While pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan on medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 1-2 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the flour and toss to coat all of the onion and garlic.
2. Add the broth, milk, juice of one lemon, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese. Stir until well-mixed. Add the spinach and chicken. The sauce should thicken. Remove the pasta from the water, drain, and then add to the pan with the sauce and chicken. Toss to coat. Add the zest of one lemon, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Transfer the pasta to a serving bowl. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and serve with additional lemon wedges (I squeezed even more lemon juice on top of mine!)
- You can cook your chicken however you would like to cook it. I made my Lemon Balsamic Chicken to use for this recipe!