Olive and Cream Cheese Penguins

Ok friends. It’s Monday and I know, it sucks. But, I’ve made you something that is surely going to cure your case of the Mondays. Though I had originally only planned to bring cookies to my lab’s holiday party this past weekend, I found out we were in need of more appetizers. I’ve seen these little guys floating around the interwebz in various places the past couple of year and have been dying to make them and took my lab’s party as the perfect opportunity. And let me tell you guys, these are the cutest appetizers ever!!

Yes, really! Now, I won’t lie to you guys. These little penguins took some time to put together. It took me some time to really figure out how to get the cream cheese into the olives neatly. As you can see, mine aren’t perfect, but I was making them at 10pm on a Friday night which means my OCD tendencies got away from me. I do recommend getting colossal olives. I accidentally bought extra large olives which worked, but I think the colossal olives would be easier to pipe the cream cheese into! You can use regular cream cheese if you want, but I wanted to give these more flavor so I used chive whipped cream cheese.

Olive and Cream Cheese Penguins

Ingredients

• 1 8-ounce package flavored cream cheese, softened
  • 1 can small seeded black olives
  • 1 can colossal seeded black olives (can also use extra large)
  • 2-3 carrots
  • toothpicks

Instructions

1. Start off by prepping all of your ingredients. Drain the olives. Slice your carrots into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices. Once the cream cheese has softened, put it in a bowl and whip with a hand mixer (if not already whipped). Then, spoon it into a piping bag with a small tip (I used a #5, but one that is slightly larger might be easier!).
  2. Take a carrot slice and cut a small triangle out of it. The triangle you have just cut is the nose and the remaining piece are the feetsies! Place the large piece of carrot onto a toothpick and slide all the way down. Then take one of the larger olives, and slice down one side. Then take your piping bag and pipe the cream cheese into the olive until it is filled and make sure you can see some of the cream cheese poking out of the slit you cut to make the tummy. Slide the olive down on top of the feet with the hole-side down. Then, take a small olive and insert the triangle you cut into the hole to make your penguin's head. Slide the small olive on top of the stomach and there you go!

Notes

- If you do not have a piping bag or tips, you can try using a freezer bag and just snip a hole on the corner. - You can also try using soft cheese spreads like Boursin! - I bought extra large olives instead of the colossal on accident. It worked out okay, but I do recommend the larger ones as they will be easier to pipe cream cheese into!

Come join the fun at the My Baking Addiction and GoodLife Eats Holiday Recipe Swap sponsored by Edgeware!

77 Responses to “Olive and Cream Cheese Penguins”

Ann — December 12, 2011 at 1:51 am

OMG! They are ADORABLE! I also love the ingredients! Happy Monday!

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

Thanks, Ann! I love the ingredients too. Nice and healthy!

Baker Street — December 12, 2011 at 2:18 am

Oh my! These are adorable! Lovely use of olives!

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

Thank you! :)

Ashleigh — December 12, 2011 at 3:53 am

Hi! I am new around here, I found your blog from Cookincowgirl. These penguins and completely adorable! You did a great job! I can’t wait to look around and check out your blog! If you are interested, stop by and say Hi! :)

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 1:48 pm

Hi Ashleigh! So glad you stopped by! I will be sure to check out your blog too!

Alyssa — December 12, 2011 at 4:59 am

So cute! I’ve got something like this bookmarked in one of my millions upon millions of food magazines that I hoard, but have never gotten around to making them. Love this!

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

You should totally try it, Alyssa! It’s something the kids will love if the like olives!

Nami | Just One Cookbook — December 12, 2011 at 5:37 am

Heheh even my kids don’t like olives they might give it a try if they are in form of cute penguins!

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

They are pretty irresistible! :)

Peggy — December 12, 2011 at 6:01 am

These are too cute! I bet they were a hit at your lab’s party =)

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

Thanks, Peggy! I think people liked them, or at least, I hope they did! lol

Tina@flourtrader — December 12, 2011 at 8:51 am

Creative, adorable and no doubt delicious. This is a wonderful post Stephanie-who doesn’t love penguins!

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

Thanks, Tina!

Colleen — December 12, 2011 at 8:55 am

I am not a big cream cheese fan, but I LOVE penguins and these are absolutely adorable. They’d be perfect for any kind of holiday get together. And the “O rly?” penguin made me chuckle :)

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

You can also try using any soft cheese spread like Boursin in place of the cream cheese. The O rly penguin is my fave of the bunch!

Kiri W. — December 12, 2011 at 9:37 am

D;awwww! These are WAY too cute! I’d love to eat one, haha. Olives are so wonderful, especially when creatively stuffed :)

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

I wholeheartedly agree, Kiri!

Maggie @ kitchie coo — December 12, 2011 at 12:02 pm

These are the cutest appetizers I have seen in my entire life! Wow, so adorable. Your lab was lucky to eat the heads off these things…or are they too cute to eat?

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 2:05 pm

It was difficult to eat them because of their cuteness! lol

veronica gantley — December 12, 2011 at 2:38 pm

What cute little appetizers. My daughter will love these. Thanks for sharing.

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 2:05 pm

Thank you, Veronica!

Eftychia — December 12, 2011 at 3:47 pm

So clever and beautiful! Very nice work!

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

Thanks, Eftychia!

Kristen — December 12, 2011 at 6:12 pm

You are one patient person. I cannot imagine the time it took to get all of those penguins looking so CUTE!!

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

It took a long time! I actually worked on them on my coffee table while watching the last season of the Wonder Years! There is no way I could stand in the kitchen for that long! lol

Cucina49 — December 12, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Is it crazy that I never would have guessed what these were made of if you hadn’t posted the recipe? Such fun!

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

Haha! I love that. What’s great about these is that you can change up some of the ingredients, like you can use soft cheese spreads or you can also swap the carrots for cheddar cheese!

Kelly @ Inspired Edibles — December 12, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Oh.My.Goodness. Wait ’till I show my boys these!! FAN.tastico. (and, they happen to love olives!). Stephanie, your work just gets more inventive as you go. And to me, these little penguins do look perfect!

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

Aw, thanks, Kelly! I love how these are kid-friendly, but also adult-friendly because of all the yumminess! :P

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — December 12, 2011 at 11:23 pm

These are so cute!! I love them for a holiday party. I don’t like cream cheese, and even I would have to try these little guys!

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

Thanks, Erin! You could try using other types of soft cheese like Boursin spread and you may be able to use that veggie ranch dip, though, it might leak out!

Anna @ hiddenponies — December 13, 2011 at 12:28 am

How stinkin’ adorable are these!! Great idea, and fantastic execution!

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

Thank you so much!

Nava Krishnan — December 13, 2011 at 4:44 am

These looks perfect and very creative, I can understand the time taken to make them. Hopefully I will have the patience and time to do so sometime in the near future, very cute and beautiful contrast of colors.

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

Thanks, Nava! They do take some time to put together, but they are worth the time and effort!

Ridwan — December 13, 2011 at 6:46 am

OMG,,,you are so creative,they are too cute to eat,i just want display on my plate,and the color are amazing,welldone !!

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

Thanks, Ridwan! They are hard to eat because they are just so much fun to look at!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — December 13, 2011 at 8:19 am

Oh those are so cute! And it’s such a good way to get kids to eat vegetables!

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

Thanks, Jen! I think so too!

Claudia — December 13, 2011 at 9:49 am

These are too cute not to share. Tweeted!

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

Thank you so much for sharing them, Claudia!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — December 13, 2011 at 10:44 am

These are adorable! I wish they weren’t so time consuming… I’d totally make them for the party I’m catering this weekend. Want to come over and help me make 40 of them? ;)

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

Thanks, Laura! I know, they are time consuming. I made my on my coffee table while watching tv which made the process a little less painful!

Sue @ Cooking in the Florida Heat — December 13, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I can just see these marching across the dinner table! And this is something I would eat too!

Perfection in creativity! Yeah!!

• Stephanie replied: — December 13th, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

Thanks, Sue! I would love to see them marching around! Or, I guess I should say waddling around! :)

sonia guerra — December 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm

2 cute for words- so I’ll just say thanks!

• Stephanie replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

Thanks, Sonia!

Liz @ Southern Charm — December 13, 2011 at 3:09 pm

These are so stinking cute!! Love it!!

• Stephanie replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

Thanks, Liz! :)

Parsley Sage — December 13, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Gadorable! Those are so cuto! And I don’t know about you, but i love chomping on cute food :) Your lab buddies are lucky!

• Stephanie replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

I love it too! These were almost too cute to eat!

Elyse @The Cultural Dish — December 13, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Oh my God!!!! These are so freakin adorable!! I love this idea so much! They are so cute I might not even eat them! :)

• Stephanie replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

Thank you, Elyse! I know what you mean!

Christine — December 13, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Very creative! This is too cute. I love it.

• Stephanie replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 7:25 pm

Thanks so much, Christine!

FreeSpiritEater — December 13, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Oh my goodness how adorable are these! Awww!! Thanks for sharing, it’s very creative =]

• Stephanie replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

Thanks, Kym!!

Kim Bee — December 13, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Holy heck girl these are just the cutest things I’ve ever seen. This is truly inspired and I cannot stop grinning at my screen. You are a genius!

• Stephanie replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

Haha, thanks, Kim! I love them too! So fun!

Cookin' Cowgirl — December 14, 2011 at 9:03 am

Oh. My. Gosh! SOOOOOOOOOO Cute!! I am pinning these now!! I love how you did something Christmas-y with out it being a dessert! Way to go!!

• Stephanie replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 7:35 pm

Thanks! I know, it seems like most holiday foods are always sweet. Gotta represent some savory stuff!!

Dara — December 14, 2011 at 11:05 am

So freaking cute!!!! I want to make these so badly.

• Stephanie replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

You should totally make them, Dara!

Cristina — December 15, 2011 at 1:03 am

I luv these little guys…they just make me smile and they’re so cute!! Besides how cutie they are, I so enjoy olives. What a fun presentation for any hostess table. :) Thx for sharing such a cute and tasty idea!!

• Stephanie replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 7:38 pm

Thanks, Christina! I love olives too!

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — December 15, 2011 at 9:13 am

Those little cuties just absolutely made my morning. What a super-cute idea!

• Stephanie replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

Thank you, Natalie! Glad you like them!

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} — December 15, 2011 at 9:43 am

oh my, these penguins are so darn cute! a fun and delicious treat to any kind of party!

• Stephanie replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

Thank you, Roxana!

Naomi — December 15, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Olive them!

• Stephanie replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 7:42 pm

Olive that you love them, Naomi!

Ramona — December 17, 2011 at 6:44 am

First of all these are the MOST adorable things I have seen in a long time!! I mean are you kidding me… I want to run and get these ingredients right now at 6:30am so I can do this. :)

Second… I want to apologize for not coming over here in a while… I was receiving emails with your new posts and they stopped. I just thought you were busy and not posting. SORRY! I am signing up again right now. I would have pretty bummed if I missed making these little penguins. I have to do them because my daughter is in the penguin class at preschool. :)

• Stephanie replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

Aw, Ramona! No worries! I actually switched web hosts a couple of weeks ago so that might be why you stopped getting them. I still have a few kinks to work out!

Beth Michelle — December 18, 2011 at 7:40 am

omg these are the cutest ever! What an amazing idea!

Katie @ ohshineon — January 7, 2012 at 6:46 pm

These are so darn cute… I think i’m in love with penguins!

1. Pingback: Lunatic Loves These Links- Dec 14 | Cravings of a Lunatic