It was my friend/co-worker’s birthday last week and I offered to make the cupcakes. But ya see, it wasn’t so simple because Jennifer is usually the person in my lab that makes the cupcakes for all of our special events. I had some big shoes to fill and I didn’t want to make plain ol’ vanilla or chocolate cupcakes and then I remembered seeing this this post from My Baking Addiction for Nutella buttercream frosting and knew I found the right cupcakes. If you have never had Nutella, I highly suggest you pick up a jar of it the next time you hit up your grocery store. It is a chocolate hazelnut spread that was sent down to us from Heaven. The addition of Nutella to the cupcake batter gave the cake a rich, decadent taste!
I used the doctored up chocolate cake recipe that I used for my Triple Chocolate Cupcakes, except instead of adding in the pudding mix, I added Nutella and baked it right into the cake! These Nutella cupcakes were amazing, but I almost wish they had a little more Nutella flavor. If I make these again, I think I will do it the way Jamie from My Baking Addiction suggests by filling the cupcakes with Nutella after they bake!
Nutella Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream Frosting
Makes 24 cupcakes
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
– 1 box devil’s food cake mix
– 4 eggs
– 1 cup vegetable oil (though I used more like 3/4 cup)
– 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
– 2 tsp. vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup Nutella
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, mix eggs, oil, sour cream, milk, vanilla extract, and Nutella. Add in cake mix and mix until well-combined.
2. Place cupcake liners into muffin pan and pour batter into cups filling each cup approximately 3/4 of the way. Bake for 19-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting. Then, I want you to go for a quick jog or do some jumping jacks because if you are anything like me, you had at least two (maybe 3) spoonfuls of Nutella while you were making these cupcakes….
Ingredients for the Nutella Buttercream Frosting:
– 2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
– 2 lbs. confectioners’ sugar, sifted
– 1 13 ounce container Nutella
– 6-8 tbs. milk or heavy cream
– 2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Cream together the butter and Nutella in a large mixing bowl. Add in confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time and continue until all sugar is creamed together with the butter and Nutella. Add vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons of the milk or cream and mix. Keep adding a tablespoon of the milk or cream until your frosting is smooth.
- Because I wanted to add Nutella into the cake batter and needed it for the frosting, I bought the large, 26 ounce jar of Nutella so I didn’t have to buy 2 smaller jars.