Nutella Skillet Brownie
When I think about what brings me the most joy in life, the obvious answer is my children. I mean, what kind of mother would I be if I didn’t say it was them? So yes, clearly, my children and family bring me the most joy.
Also in the Top 3? Well, that’s easy. It’s a warm, fudgy brownie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
Is there anything better? I think not.
I’ve been wanting to make a skillet brownie for some time. Baking a brownie in a cast iron skillet is a great idea because it helps keep the heat even and steady while the brownie is baking.
Another major benefit of baking a brownie in a cast iron skillet? You don’t have to worry about slicing it, or at least, I don’t worry about it! Heck, I’m not gonna lie, I just eat it straight out of the skillet! Or, you can just scoop it into bowls while it’s still warm with big ol’ scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
Oh, and because you don’t have to worry about slicing it, you don’t have to wait 10,000 years for the brownie to cool. So many good things here, right?!
I like my brownies fudgy and less cake-like. So the key is eggs, less flour, and the precise baking time to ensure you don’t overbake the brownie.
I baked this brownie in a 6.5-inch skillet which will give you about 6 servings. I find that about 18-19 minutes is perfect in my oven, but every oven is different. If you want to double it, you can bake it in a larger skillet or 9×13 pan, but keep in mind you will need to add some baking time.
Nutella Skillet Brownie
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or 1/4 teaspoon table salt)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- extra chocolate chips and/or vanilla ice cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 6.5 cast iron skillet and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the chocolate chips. Melt the butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds in a microwave-safe bowl. Pour the melted butter over the chocolate chips and stir until melted and smooth. Beat in the Nutella, vanilla, eggs, and sugars.
- Add the salt, cocoa powder, and flour to the bowl. Mix until just combined. Pour the batter into the skillet and spread in an even layer. Bake the brownie for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean.
- Let the brownie cool for about 10-15 minutes. Scoop into bowls with some vanilla ice cream on top or other desired toppings.