Grapefruit Brûlée

Grapefruit Brûlée

Citrus, citrus, citrus. I can’t get enough right now and I think that this grapefruit brûlée might be one of my new favorite treats!

Grapefruit Brûlée

Yet again, you can tell my mind is ready for spring and summer foods. While good ol’ crème brûlée is one of my most favorite desserts of all time sometimes ya just gotta have something a little lighter. This grapefruit brûlée is stupid easy to make. The hardest part is segmenting the grapefruit. Other than that all you need is your kitchen torch, brown sugar, and a little whipped cream! I took the time to segment my grapefruit, but if you do not want to do that, you can just cut one in half and prepare it that way, but I like being able to actually eat the slices instead of digging a spoon in and squirting grapefruit juice all over the place and making a huge mess which is basically what happens to me every time I eat a grapefruit.

This dessert is refreshing with just the right amount of sweetness! I think this dessert would also work nicely with pineapples if you want to use that instead or in combination to the grapefruit.

Grapefruit Brûlée

Grapefruit Brûlée

Yield: 1 serving

• 1 medium sized grapefruit, peeled and segmented
  • 1 tbs. light brown sugar
  • whipped cream or Greek yogurt
  • ground cinnamon (for garnish)

1. Peel and segment your grapefruit and layer the slices onto a small bowl or creme brulee dish.
  2. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the top of the slices.
  3. Using a kitchen torch, burn the brown sugar until it caramelizes.
  4. Scoop a dollop of whipped cream or Greek yogurt on top and sprinkle some cinnamon on top for garnish and serve immediately.

If you do not own a kitchen torch, you can use your broiler. Just place the slices into oven-safe dishes.

Grapefruit Brûlée

16 Responses to “Grapefruit Brûlée”

CCU — March 8, 2013 at 4:50 am

What a springy beautifully tasty and innovative dessert :D

CCU

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 8, 2013 at 6:55 am

Guess who is making this, this weekend? Me! I got a torch for Christmas and I have been wanting to use it and with all the grapefruit I have this will be perfect! Thank you!! Have a great weekend!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — March 8, 2013 at 10:35 am

Creme brulee happens to be my very favorite dessert, too. I love that you lightened it up with citrus. It looks fantastic!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — March 8, 2013 at 11:43 am

YES. A skinny brulee! :)

I Wash You Dry — March 8, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I just bought a whole bag of grapefruit, cause I am sort of obsessed right now! This is perfect, and I can’t wait to try it. I bet my husband will love this too. :)

a farmer in the dell — March 9, 2013 at 12:58 am

Bring on spring! This looks delicious!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — March 9, 2013 at 9:09 am

mmm I can’t get enough citrus these days either! So light and refreshing…perfect for the pounds and pounds of grapefruit in my kitchen right now!

Donalyn — March 9, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I love brulee on top of grapefruits – why did I never think to segment them first? Awesome idea!

Taylor @ greens & chocolate — March 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I am loving citrus right now too!! This looks like a perfect light dessert!

Ramona — March 9, 2013 at 3:33 pm

What a clever way to serve grapefruit. I think I could get my kids to even try it like this. :)

GourmetGetaways — March 9, 2013 at 8:54 pm

What an amazing looking dessert!
    Your images are just so gorgeous, the blue colouring really makes the dessert look even yummier.
    I love citrus desserts too :)

Monica — March 9, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I’ve been eating a lot of grapefruit lately but never thought to turn it into a dessert like this. Really refreshing idea!

Anna @ hiddenponies — March 10, 2013 at 1:05 am

I need to try this! I love doing something similar with peaches, I bet it makes grapefruit taste amazing!!

Liz — March 10, 2013 at 11:38 am

I adore grapefruit, but it never crosses my mind to use them in desserts! Your simple dessert much taste magnificent…and won’t ruin the diet, either :)

Kim Beaulieu — March 10, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Seriously these are beautiful. I just want to grab the biggest spoon I can find and dig in.

Nami | Just One Cookbook — March 12, 2013 at 12:44 am

Wow, this is so creative and totally new to me! I don’t have grapefruit currently but will always get some, so I’m going to give this a try!