Citrus, citrus, citrus. I can’t get enough right now and I think that this grapefruit brûlée might be one of my new favorite treats!
Yet again, you can tell my mind is ready for spring and summer foods. While good ol’ crème brûlée is one of my most favorite desserts of all time sometimes ya just gotta have something a little lighter. This grapefruit brûlée is stupid easy to make. The hardest part is segmenting the grapefruit. Other than that all you need is your kitchen torch, brown sugar, and a little whipped cream! I took the time to segment my grapefruit, but if you do not want to do that, you can just cut one in half and prepare it that way, but I like being able to actually eat the slices instead of digging a spoon in and squirting grapefruit juice all over the place and making a huge mess which is basically what happens to me every time I eat a grapefruit.
This dessert is refreshing with just the right amount of sweetness! I think this dessert would also work nicely with pineapples if you want to use that instead or in combination to the grapefruit.
- 1 medium sized grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 1 tbs. light brown sugar
- whipped cream or Greek yogurt
- ground cinnamon (for garnish)
- Peel and segment your grapefruit and layer the slices onto a small bowl or creme brulee dish.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the top of the slices.
- Using a kitchen torch, burn the brown sugar until it caramelizes.
- Scoop a dollop of whipped cream or Greek yogurt on top and sprinkle some cinnamon on top for garnish and serve immediately.
If you do not own a kitchen torch, you can use your broiler. Just place the slices into oven-safe dishes.
If you decide that you do not want to worry about peeling and segmenting the grapefruit, you can cut it half and it will serve two people.