Who says you can’t have a banana split for breakfast? Not this girl. I say it’s totally legit.
To make a breakfast banana split, all you have to do is swap out the ice cream with some yogurt and swap the chocolate sauce for a fruity sauce made with fresh blueberries and strawberries. It’s one of those things that I think I could eat for breakfast or even as a dessert. Who doesn’t love having a dessert for breakfast? I love this breakfast banana split because it is so simple to make and I love the cold yogurt with the cold fresh fruit. It’s not going to weigh you down.
Feel free to get all crazy with the toppings. Any yogurt will do, you can use walnuts or almonds, and any fruit topping will work! If you plan to eat breakfast in a hurry, you can make the sauce the night before and just store in your fridge for the week!
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 medium banana, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (you can plain yogurt or any flavored yogurt as well)
- 1/4 cup shelled walnuts, toasted
- blueberry and strawberry sauce
- fresh fruit, sliced
- Combine the sugar and water in a small sauce pan. Heat on medium heat. Stir in the blueberries and strawberries and stir well. Bring the mixture to a light boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Pour the mixture into a food processor (or blender), puree until smooth. This will give you more sauce than you need for one banana split, but I like to store the left over sauce in the fridge so I can use it again another time.
- Arrange the sliced banana on a plate. Scoop the yogurt on top of the bananas. Drizzle with some of the blueberry and strawberry sauce. Sprinkle the the walnuts on top along with some additional sliced fruit and serve!