Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups
I always find myself making pasta far less frequently during the hot summer months. It’s just too heavy and I hate standing over a hot stove and oven for any longer than I have to. Zucchini is one my favorite substitutes for pasta. It holds up well when baking and is great for making low-carb lasagna, or in this case, lasagna roll ups!
All you have to do is slice up some zucchini and then roll up the slices with a thin layer of ricotta, Parmesan, and mozzarella cheese. Top with your favorite marinara sauce and bake until the cheese is melted and the zucchini is nice and tender. This was one of those recipes I made where I was pleasantly surprised just how much I liked it.
This meal is really pretty simple to prepare, but it can be a bit time consuming between cutting thin slices of zucchini and rolling each one individually. I probably wouldn’t make it for more than 2-4 people as it would just take too much time to prepare.
I stuffed these with just a plain traditional cheese mixture. You could add finely crumbled ground beef or sausage to make this a heartier meal, but I loved it just is for a light summer dinner. I could eat these as a meal on their own, but you could also serve them as a side dish with protein.
Recipe Tips and Suggestions:
- Thinly slicing the zucchini is the most complicated part of this recipe. If you have a mandolin and you feel safe using it, go for it. You want slices that are about 1.8-inch thick. Personally, I really don’t like using mandolins so I cut these myself. If you are going to slice them yourself, you might want to grab an extra zucchini just in case some of your slices aren’t as even or the right thickness.
- After you slice the zucchini, you will want to sprinkle them with salt and lay them out for a few minutes to allow that salt to pull out moisture from the zucchini. Then you can pat them dry and roll them up. This step is not absolutely necessary, but I recommend not skipping it.
- If you want to add ground beef or sausage in these, you can either mix it in with the cheese mixture or alternatively, you can add the meat to your sauce (this would be easiest). If you want to include meat in the roll ups, be sure to crumble the meat more finely as larger chunks of meat could make the zucchini more difficult to roll.
- This recipe makes enough for either 2 people as a main dish that you can serve with a side salad or some bread or 3 people as a side dish. Depending on how you are slicing your zucchini and how accurate you are with the thickness of slice, you will need at least one zucchini per person.
- 3 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise about 1/8-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fresh shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- After slicing the zucchini, arrange in a single layer on top of paper towels. Sprinkle a bit of salt on top of each slice and let sit for 10 minutes. Take more paper towels and blot each slice to remove moisture. Pat dry.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, eggs, Parmesan, 1/2 cup of the mozzarella, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and remaining salt. Stir until well-combined.
- In a baking dish (9x9 or 10x10), coat the bottom with about 3/4 cup of the marinara sauce and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture and spread on each slice of zucchini across the entire slice. Tightly roll up with your hands and place standing up into the baking sheet (see photo above). Repeat with remaining zucchini slices.
- Top the rolled zucchini with the remaining marinara sauce and then the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese (and additional Parmesan if desired).
- Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted. Serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 488Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 194mgSodium: 2047mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 6gSugar: 15gProtein: 34g