Zucchini Cheesy Bread
Raise your hand if you are a cheesy bread addict? ::Raises hand as high as possible:: Yes, that’s me. Who doesn’t love cheesy bread? What’s not to love? Cheese and carbs? Count me in. Actually though, I’m not even sure the last time I had cheesy bread as I know how little self-control I would have around it. I’ve recently tested some cauliflower crust recipes and thought I’d try my hand at using one of my most favorite veggies in all the land, zucchini! I love using zucchini in baked goods, but I’ve never tried making something more savory with it.
If you have ever made cauliflower pizza crust or cheesy bread, this recipe is really very similar. The only thing I will say about this zucchini version is that zucchini has a much higher water content compared to cauliflower. So, that means you have to be really sure to squuuuuueeeze as much of that water out as you can before baking. You really want to get out as much as possible to avoid sogginess. Just in case, I like to add a little bit of almond flour as it helps soak up additional moisture. If you don’t care about the low-carb aspect of this recipe, you can also use just regular all-purpose or whole wheat flour. I’ve made this with and without the almond flour and I do think the almond flour helps make it a little more stable!
- 2 medium or 3 small zucchini, grated
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- pizza sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the grated zucchini to the middle of cheese cloth or thin dish towel. Wrap the towel around the zucchini. Twist up the ends of the cloth or towel and squeeze as much water as you can from the zucchini and discard the water. I do this step about 3 times to ensure as much liquid has been removed as possible.
- Add the zucchini to a mixing bowl. Add in 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, eggs, almond flour, and seasonings. Stir together until well-combined.
- Add the zucchini bread to the baking sheet and spread into an even layer, about 1/4-inch thick. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the bread begins to golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and divide the remaining cheese over the top. Continue baking for another 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the bottom of the bread is lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 2 minutes. Cut into about 12 slices. Serve with your favorite pizza sauce for dipping!
Serving Size:1 slice (when cut into 12)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 331mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g