White Chicken Enchilada Casserole
I’ve professed my deep love for all things enchilada like a million times so there’s no surprises there. This White Chicken Enchilada Casserole may not look super pretty, but oh is it yum!
The white sauce for this recipe comes from my White Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas which I haven’t made in forever and thought the sauce would work really well in a cozy enchilada casserole. The sauce gets its creaminess from sour cream so it’s not super heavy or creamy which I prefer for a heavier dish like this.
The casserole is layered with corn tortillas, refried beans, chicken, and cheese. Pretty basic and you can change it up however you want if desired by adding different types of beans, swapping chicken for veggies, etc.
There’s a few steps required before you will be ready to assemble. I like to mix up the sauce first so it’s ready to just spoon when I’m layering and it’s okay if it gets a little cold since it’s going into the oven. You can also prepare this in advance and just stick in the oven and bake when ready!
Tips and Suggestions:
- I recommend heating the chicken in a mixture of cumin and chili powder before assembling the casserole. This step is not required if you are short on time, but it makes the chicken more flavorful and only takes a few minutes so I recommend it!
- Refried beans are easier to spread when warm so you may want to heat them first. If you do not want to use refried beans, you can also sprinkle plain pinto beans or even black beans.
- I used about 7 corn tortillas for this recipe – yellow or white will do. You could also use flour tortillas, but I prefer the flavor of corn tortillas. You will need to tear them in halves or quarters to arrange them to cover the casserole dish.
- Want to make this dish vegetarian friendly? Leave out the chicken and/or add spinach, corn, and other veggies if desired!
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can (4.5 ounces) diced green chiles, drained
- salt to taste
For the casserole:
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded (like rotisserie)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 6-8 small corn tortillas
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- corn (optional)
- To prepare the white sauce, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the flour and stir in with the oil. Allow for the flour to cook for 1 minute. Pour in the chicken broth or stock and whisk until the sauce begins to thicken, about 2-3 minutes. Add in the sour cream and continue whisking until it is combined with the broth. If the sauce gets too thick for your liking, pour in a little more broth until it reaches your desired consistency. Lastly, stir in the cumin, paprika, and green chiles. Season with salt to taste. Lower the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes. Cover and remove from the heat.
- In a skillet, add the shredded chicken over medium heat. Once hot, sprinkle the cumin and chili powder with 1 tablespoon of water. Cook until the chicken is coated with the seasoning. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spoon some of the sauce onto the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish. Cover with tortillas. Tear the tortillas up into smaller pieces as needed to cover the bottom. Spoon a bit more sauce, followed by a layer of the beans, half the chicken, about 2/3 cup of the cheese. Add next layer of tortillas, cover with more sauce. Repeat with beans, chicken, and cheese. Add one more layer of tortillas, cover with remaining sauce and more cheese.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Slice/spoon and serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 504Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 625mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 35g