Tuscan Lemon Muffins with Lemon Glaze
Wow, where did this week go? It just flew by! What are my plans for the weekend? Well, it is time to start purging things in our apartment to get ready for our big move. I love purging. It feels so nice to get rid of things I don’t need or want anymore. But, packing…oh packing…Not my favorite. If any of you want to come help pack, I will pay you in food. Maybe these muffins…
You know I love all things lemon so what could be better than lemon muffins?! These muffins are a little unique because they are not made with butter or vegetable oil, they are made with olive oil! If I could make the recipe better, I would say add a little more sugar and more lemon which is what I have done with the recipe for you. I only used 1/2 cup sugar and while I usually don’t like a lot of sweetness, I felt these needed more. To compensate, I added some lemon glaze which actually ended up making these muffins even better. But, if you don’t want the glaze, you could certainly leave it out! Oh, and don’t overmix. I always do this…baking is just not my thang, but I try…
For the muffins:
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbs. lemon zest
- 2 tbs. turbinado sugar
For the lemon glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2-3 tbs. lemon juice
- 1/2 tbs. lemon zest
For the muffins:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the four, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl, add the beaten egg, ricotta cheese, olive oil, water, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients. Stir until the ingredients are combined, but be careful not to over-stir!
- Fill a muffin pan with muffin liners, spray the liners with some cooking spray. Spoon the batter evenly among each cup. Sprinkle some of the turbinado sugar over each muffin cup. Bake for about 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
For the glaze:
- Stir together the powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Spoon some of the glaze on top of each muffin.
Serving Size:1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 242Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 174mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 4g