I’m loving the chillier weather we are getting in Orange County lately. It’s been in the mid-60’s during the day and pretty chilly at night. I know a lot of you have been getting a lot of snow. It’s been absolutely perfect soup weather so today I’m sharing my absolute favorite soup recipe ever: tortilla soup!
I love every little thing about tortilla soup. I love the warm, slightly spicy flavors from the chili powder and cumin. Tortilla soup is a total comfort food for me and my most favorite part is the toppings! I’m all about the toppings. My bowl is always piled high with warm and crunchy tortilla strips, cheese, diced avocado, and cilantro.
I use rotisserie chicken from the grocery store as a shortcut, but any leftover chicken you have around will do here. Feel free to adjust the spices to your tastes as well. You can add more, less, or leave some out if desired. This recipe is also easy to make vegan or vegetarian by simply leaving out the chicken and using vegetable broth instead of the chicken broth. This soup is ready in 25-30 minutes and it also both reheats and freezes really well so make extra!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can unseasoned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (about 8 ounces) corn kernels, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt to taste
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 4-5 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 3 cups shredded chicken (I used rotisserie)
- Garnishes: tortilla chips, broken into smaller pieces (I also like to warm mine in the oven), shredded cheese, diced avocado, cilantro, sour cream
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the diced onion and saute until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the black beans and corn. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, and salt until the beans and corn are well-coated with the spices (about 1 minute).
- Pour in the broth and the entire can of the diced tomatoes (including the juice). Add the chicken and stir everything until well-combined. Lower the heat and let the soup simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, heat the tortilla chips in the oven and prepare your other toppings.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, top with desired garnishes, and serve!