Tomato Parmesan Tarts
It’s December. The holidays are near and that means it is time for parties! Lots and lots of parties with lots and lots of food. And like most food during this time of the year, holiday party food tends to be on the heavier side. Though I love appetizers full of cheese or butter, I can only take so much of it and need some lighter bites in between to balance it all out. I hate going home after a party and feeling like I want to explode. Not fun.
Here’s a little appetizer that is easy, pretty, and low in fat! Little rounds of pastry puff topped with Parmesan cheese and a light and tasty tomato mixture. I think these are kind of similar to bruschetta, except with pastry puff dough! The puff pastry gives them a nice buttery flavor, but it’s balanced with the fresh tomato and basil. And since I am not good at making my own pastry doughs, I love that you can use puff pastry right from the freezer section as it saves me time and I don’t have to worry about it not turning out! I think these are my ideal appetizer! These would be great to serve any time of the year!
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced and seeded plum tomato (about 4)
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp. champagne vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough, thawed
- 2/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the tomato, shallots, olive oil, vinegar, thyme, and the pepper in a bowl.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface. Roll out to about 10 x 12 1/2 inch rectangle. Cut the dough with a 2-inch round pastry cutter (or can also use a drinking glass). Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Place the rounds on the baking sheet. Using a fork, prick the dough.
- Top each piece of dough with about 1/4 tsp. of the Parmesan cheese and about 2 tsp. of the tomato mixture.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with salt and basil leaves.
Serving Size:1 tart
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 82Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 141mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g