Tiramisu Ice Cream Cake
This is it. The last summer recipe for the year. I cracked open my first can of pumpkin this weekend and am not even a little bit sorry about it! Before we move onto fall recipes though, I have to share this incredibly simple and delicious Tiramisu Ice Cream Cake!
Tiramisu is by far my most favorite dessert ever. Coffee, mascaropone and whipped cream, sweet lady fingers – just YUM! Given that tiramisu doesn’t require any baking I thought it might make for a delicious summery ice cream cake! And yes, it absolutely does!
You only need a handful of ingredients for this cake: coffee, coffee (and/or chocolate) ice cream, pound cake, whipped cream, and a bit of mascarpone for added authenticity. I did make this the very first time using lady fingers, however, I didn’t like they way they tasted out of the freezer. They were a bit hard and chunky. Even soaked in coffee first, they didn’t have that same squishy and tender texture when frozen. So, I made it a second time and used prepared pound cake (from the frozen section) and liked it a lot better. So, while you *can* use lady fingers, I preferred the pound cake for this recipe!
Recipe Tips and Suggestions:
- For the ice cream, I used plain coffee ice cream. However, if you want to mix things up, you could do a combo of coffee and chocolate-flavored ice cream or just chocolate if you want to serve this to guests who aren’t into coffee.
- Instead of traditional lady fingers, I prefer to use pound cake, it just tasted better out of the freezer.
- I do recommend still brushing some strong coffee or espresso onto the pound cake as you layer it!
- Just a touch of marscarpone in the whipped cream adds a nice richness.
- I only used one pound cake for this recipe which when sliced and layered, were not super thick layers. if you want thicker cake layers, consider using at least part of a second pound cake.
- For the pound cake, you will sliced into it lengthwise, either into thirds or halves and layer into the ice cream cake. Depending on the size of the pound cake, you may have to stick extra pieces at the end to cover the entire layer.
- 1 (16-ounce) family size frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1 quart coffee ice cream, softened
- 1 cup strongly brewed coffee or espresso
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 lady finger cookies, chopped or crumbled
- Remove the pound cake from the pan. Slice the cake into thirds, lengthwise and set pieces aside.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or foil. Spread a layer about 1/2 inch thick of the softened coffee cream.
- Take some of the sliced pound cake and layer to cover the ice cream layer. You may need to cut up some of the pound cake into smaller pieces to make it fit as needed into the loaf pan.
- Brush the pound cake with as much of the coffee or espresso as you desire.
- Layer again with more ice cream and another layer of the pound cake brushed with coffee. Cover and stick the cake in the freezer.
- Prepare the whipped cream. Whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in the mascarpone, along with the powdered sugar and vanilla extract until combined. Remove the cake from the freezer and spread on top of the cake into an even layer. Cover and freeze again for at least 4 hours.
- Before serving, sprinkle the crumbled lady fingers on top. If desired, drizzle with chocolate syrup. Slice and serve. Store leftovers in the freezer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 545Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 176mgSodium: 182mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 0gSugar: 32gProtein: 7g