The Best Dang Guacamole!
Ok, so I know what some of you may be thinking, “really, guacamole? that’s the first recipe she posted?!” Well, all I can say to that is, yes, that is the first recipe I am posting…mostly because I just made some the other day when I decided to start this blog :P But, really, who doesn’t love some guacamole?! It’s one of my favorite things to eat and once I start, it’s hard to stop! I think we make this guacamole at least once a week. I make it for eating with chips, putting on tacos, sandwiches, and even cheeseburgers! Guacamole really can go on everything!
Up until about 2 years ago, I always used the pre-mixed packages of guacamole seasoning that you find next to the avocados at the grocery store and though I was never blown away with the taste, I just didn’t want to make it from scratch. Then, one fine Wednesday evening when my girlfriends and I were having our weekly girl’s night and decided to make tacos, my good friend, Amanda, insisted we make the guacamole from scratch. Needless to say, I will never buy pre-mixed guacamole seasoning EVER again! Homemade guacamole is fresh and more flavorful.
The Best Dang Guacamole
- – 2 ripe avocados
- – 1/4 c. of finely diced red onion
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tbs. of freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp. of minced jalapeño pepper (remove seeds)
- 1/4 c. of fresh lime juice
- (optional) 1/2 c. diced tomato (peel and remove seeds first)
- Peel avocados and mash (I like to use a potato masher for this, but a fork would also do the trick).
- Mix in diced red onion, salt, garlic powder, jalapeño pepper (if you don’t like a lot of heat, you can use 1 tsp. of the pepper instead, I would say with 2 tsp., you get a little heat, but not too much :) ). Mix ingredients into avocado mixture.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Add cilantro and mix well. Garnish with a few more leaves of the cilantro.
- Chill for 30 minutes before serving. Serve with chips, veggies, tacos, or even grilled chicken breast!