Thai Curry Chicken Meatballs
Say hello to one of my new favorite comfort meals! I made these Thai Curry Chicken Meatballs a few weeks ago and they are so delicious and comforting!
And best of all is that this recipe is supppper simple to make! The meatballs are made with ground chicken, an egg, almond flour (which also makes them gluten-free and low-carb), some garlic, and red curry paste. You can add more or less of the paste depending on how much flavor and spiciness you prefer!
I bake the meatballs in the oven. I use an oven-safe rack to place over the baking sheet (see above). This helps cook the meatballs more evenly from all sides and also helps them get a bit more golden on the outside. You can still bake them without the rack, but I highly recommend having one handy if you can!
Let’s talk about the coconut curry sauce! In case it isn’t obvious just from the name, it basically has just two ingredients: full-fat coconut milk and more red curry paste! You can use lite coconut milk if you want, but I like the richness the full-fat coconut milk adds to the sauce. Some fresh lime juice also balances out the sauce. If you are keto, you do not have to thicken the sauce with the cornstarch. It will still be equally as delicious, just obviously not as thick.
As you can see from the photos, this recipe makes enough of the sauce to spoon over sides like steamed white or brown rice, cauliflower rice, zoodles, or any veggies you want. Since my family doesn’t really care for curry, I divided the recipe up into separate containers and brought it to work for lunches. It was delicious all week long!
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 large egg
- 2-3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lime, juiced (optional)
- cooking spray
For the coconut curry sauce:
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons corn starch (optional)
- salt to taste
- fresh chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and then place a oven-safe baking rack on top. Spray the rack with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, almond flour, curry paste, egg, garlic, salt, and juice from one lime until well-mixed. Use a medium cookie scoop to create approximately 12 evenly sized meatballs. Arrange them onto the rack. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted reads 165 degrees F.
- While the meatballs are cooking, prepare the sauce. In a large skillet over medium heat, pour in the coconut milk and whisk in the curry paste. Season with salt to taste and lime juice. Stir until heated. If you want to thicken the sauce, dissolve the corn starch in a small bowl with a tablespoon of water and add to the skillet. Continue cooking until thickened.
- Add the cooked meatballs to the skillet and spoon the sauce over each one. Serve the meatballs over rice, cauliflower rice, or zoodles with fresh chopped basil on top and additional lime wedges.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 556Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 168mgSodium: 1172mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 35g
Nutrition estimate includes 4 meatballs with 1/4th of the sauce only.