Taco Beef & Rice Skillet
This beef and taco rice skillet was one of those recipes that I had no plan to make or intention to photograph for the blog, but my husband and I both really liked it so I was happy to have extra to photograph! This recipe is great for those of you who are currently cooking out of your pantry and freezer!
And best of all, this is a one-pan meal so clean up is a breeze!
To start, you will first brown some ground beef in a large skillet. After that, you will add some rice along with a bit of tomato sauce, spices, and chicken broth. The rice cooks for a bit and then you will stir in the cooked beef and some black beans and continue cooking until the rice is tender. The rice tastes very much like restaurant-style Mexican rice. Top with some shredded cheese and dinner is ready!
If I was just making this for myself, I would have added some diced tomatoes, but then my husband would have probably refused to eat this, haha! Of course, if you don’t have ground beef or don’t want to use it, you can swap it ground chicken or turkey.
If you want to keep this vegetarian-friendly, you can add additional beans – more black beans or pinto beans and use veggie broth instead!
I ate this just out of a bowl with a scoop of guacamole and a handful of tortilla chips. My husband chose to spoon his into some flour tortillas and eat it like a taco. You could also serve it over salad. You really can’t go wrong either way!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 15 ounces low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet (that can be covered with a lid), heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking it up with a spatula as it cooks. Season with a bit of salt. Cook until the beef is browned, about 7 minutes. Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
- Add the rice to the skillet and place back onto the heat and cook for about 30 seconds. Pour in the sauce, chicken broth, and all spices. Stir and lower heat to medium low. Cover the skillet and let the rice simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the pan and stir back in the cooked browned beef and black beans. Cover again and continue cooking until the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (you can add additional broth or water if needed), about more minutes. Remove the lid one last time and sprinkle cheese on top. Turn off heat, remove from the burner, and cover to let the cheese melt.
- Serve with additional shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, tortillas, or tortilla chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 463Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 750mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 7gSugar: 2gProtein: 37g