Sweet Potato Noodles with Arugula Pesto
It’s been forever since I last pulled out my spiralizer. In fact, I don’t think I’ve used it since I moved to California last year and that is quite sad because I adore spiralizing. It’s so simple and I love trying to find good substitutes for carb-heavy pasta dishes. While I think my favorite veggie to spiralize is zucchini (I know, how basic of me!), my second favorite is sweet potatoes!
I bought a huge container of arugula on sale a few weeks ago and didn’t want to let any go to waste so I threw it in my food processor and made some fresh pesto! I adore using arugula in pesto. It adds a nice peppery flavor. I also throw in basil because it balances out the arugula perfectly. And then I add in toasted walnuts instead of the more traditional pine nut.
The pesto pairs perfectly with the sweet potato noodles for a quick and easy lunch or dinner. And while I often like to suggest beefing up these types of dishes with grilled chicken, fish, etc., I have to say I like this dish just as is. Obviously, if you are feeling lazy, you can just use store-bought regular pesto, but I highly recommend trying this arugula pesto!
For the Arugula Walnut Pesto:
- 2/3 cup shelled walnuts
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 cups fresh arugula, stems removed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (add more if needed)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Sweet Potato Noodles:
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes, peeled and spiralized
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Arugula walnut pesto
- Heat a small saute pan over medium heat. Place the walnuts in the pan and toast the walnuts, about 4 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Remove the peels from the garlic cloves. Place the arugula, garlic, basil, Parmesan cheese, and the lemon juice into a food processor or blender. Puree the mixture until it is well-combined. Slowly add in the olive oil and continue to puree until it is fully incorporated with the other ingredients (you can add more olive oil if you feel it is necessary). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Heat the olive oil and add the spiralized sweet potatoes. Saute the noodles, using tongs to fluff and stir the noodles as they cook. Cook until the noodles are tender, about 7-10 minutes. Add the pesto and toss to coat. Serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 193mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 5g