Sweet Potato Casserole
Well, all, our sweet baby girl arrived on Tuesday and we are in absolute baby heaven and also completely exhausted. I’m so excited to introduce you to our sweet little Madeline!
It’s been a whirlwind of a few days. I’ll do a nice and long post on her birth story once we are settled. We just got home from the hospital this afternoon and are just trying to adjust to being home and keeping up with this little peanut, but I will be doing my best to try to keep up with the blog!
Here’s another Thanksgiving side dish for you. Sweet Potato Casserole is definitely one of my favorite Thanksgiving sides. And I have to admit my favorite part about it are those gooey marshmallows on top! Though in my family, my mom and I were the only ones that ever ate the sweet potatoes so we didn’t always make it. This version is simpler than other versions as it doesn’t contain eggs or too many other ingredients. It comes together pretty quickly and I think you could actually make it the night before Thanksgiving if you are worried about oven space and time.
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup mini marshmallows
- Add the sweet potatoes to a large pot. Fill with water so the potatoes are covered and put on the stove over medium high heat. Bring to a light boil and cook the potatoes for approximately 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and can be broken up easily with a fork. Drain the water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour the cooked potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and the milk and use a hand mixer or potato masher to mash the potatoes and to combine all of the ingredients. Scoop the mixture into a pie dish or baking dish. Sprinkle the pecans and marshmallows on top.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are heated through and the marshmallows are browned.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 220mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 4gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g