Strawberry Cream Cheese Pastry
I know St. Patrick’s Day is this week, but I’m already thinking about Easter which is in just a couple of weeks! I always like to think about yummy Easter brunch recipes to share with you guys and this year, it’s this Strawberry Cream Cheese Pastry!
This is really a very easy pastry to make and would be the perfect brunch addition! I took a big shortcut by using frozen puff pastry sheets. So really the only work is mixing up the filling and then spreading it on!
I’m no pastry artist, but I attempted to give this pastry a braided look which I thought was going to be complicated, but then only ended up taking me a couple of minutes to do. It’s certainly not perfect, but it really doesn’t need to be!
You guys can check out the photo at the bottom of the post to give you a better idea of how to construct this pastry in case my directions are confusing!
I call this a strawberry pastry, but you can really use any fruit jam that you like. I think raspberry or apricot would also be lovely!
- 12 ounces plain cream cheese (can use light cream cheese if desired)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 puff pastry sheets, thawed (plus flour for dusting)
- about 3/4 cup strawberry jam (can use any other fruit jam)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk, divided
For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth.
Unfold the pastry sheets on a lightly floured flat surface. Take the two ends of the sheets and overlap them by a half inch. Roll the pastry out into a large rectangle (about 10 1/2 inches wide by 17 inches long), merging the two sheets together (* See alternative directions if your baking sheet cannot fit one long pastry). Spoon the cream cheese mixture lengthwise down the center of the pastry in an even layer. Cut slits about 1 inch apart from both sides of the pastry rectangle (see photo at bottom of this post). Then spoon and spread the strawberry jam over the cream cheese. Starting at one end, fold the end flap up then fold the pastry strips over the filling on a diagonal, alternating sides, to cover the strawberry cream cheese mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Use a pastry brush to brush the mixture all over the top of the pastry. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for at least 45 minutes before icing and slicing.
- To make the icing, stir together the powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon milk until well-combined. Add more milk if needed to thin, or more powdered sugar if it gets too thin. Drizzle over the pastry, then slice into about 12 pieces and serve!
Alternatively, if you don’t have a big enough baking sheet, you can also just bake the pastry sheets separate from one another and divide the cream cheese and jam mixture evenly amongst both pastry sheets and bake them next to each other on the baking sheet.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 45mg Sodium: 116mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 24g Protein: 3g