Strawberry Blueberry Fruit Leather
I used to love eating Fruit Roll-Ups as a kid. They were like the “cool” item to have in your lunch. Oh, that and Gushers! Gosh, I loved those too. Now I look at those types of snacks and kind of shudder at the ingredients with things like corn syrup and the lack of actual fruit. Making your own fruit leather though is seriously SO easy!
I had a surplus of strawberries and blueberries sitting around in my fridge from a buy-one-get-one sale and needed to use them up before they went bad. Fruit Leather is the perfect way to use them up. I like using strawberries in a lot of my fruit leather recipes because it blends up nice and smooth and provides a solid base for the fruit leather. The blueberries mix up well here too and the flavors obviously work well together! I sweeten my fruit leather with a touch of honey or agave nectar. And that’s seriously it, just three simple ingredients!
The only thing to keep in mind before making fruit leather is that it will need a good 4-5 hours in the oven to dry out so you’ll definitely want to make this on a day where you will be home for a while and can keep an eye on it.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- honey to taste
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees F.
- Line a large cookie sheet with a baking mat like a Silpat.*
- Add the strawberries and blueberries to a blender and blend until smooth. Blend in honey until it reaches your desired sweetness (I usually add about 2-3 tablespoons).
- Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet, leaving some room around the edges. Use a knife or an offset spatula and spread so that the mixture is in an even layer.
- Bake for about 4-5 hours or until the fruit is dried and is only slightly tacky to the touch. Remove from the oven.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then peel the leather off the baking mat and cut into desired shapes and sizes. Roll the each piece in parchment paper and store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Serving Size:1 strip (when cut into 10)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 34 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 1mg Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 6g Protein: 0g