Strawberry Avocado Salsa with Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips
Oi. I’m having extreme difficulty typing this. I’m suffering from the fondue sweats. For those of you who are not familiar with the fondue sweats, it is what happens to you when you consume copious amounts of cheese, chicken and steak, and chocolate fondue. It is both wonderful and the worst thing ever all at the same time. I think I ate enough to hold me over for the entire week. Ok, that is a big exaggeration, but still, you get the point…
Yesterday was the Hubs’ 30th birthday! When it comes to birthdays, he never wants anybody to make a fuss. He would probably have been happy if I made Kraft mac and cheese. Bless his heart. But I, on the other hand, do care about birthdays, and a nice dinner was in order. We always do fondue for special occasions. I contemplated making some crazy cupcake, but dipping bananas and pound cake into chocolate was PLEN-TY!
Our fridge has been stocked with crazy amounts of strawberries over the last couple of weeks. I just can’t get enough! I wanted a snack and wanted to use some strawberries, but also wanted to do something a little different. This salsa is SO good! The combo of the strawberries and the avocado work so well together. The strawberries give it a touch of sweetness and the avocado adds a wonderful creamy texture. I ate mine with some whole wheat tortillas that I toasted in the oven with a lil’ cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top! Perfect!
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 6 (6-inch) whole wheat tortilla chips
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped and peeled avocado (about 2)
- 1 cup finely diced strawberries
- 1 tsp. minced and seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 tbs. minced cilantro
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350° degrees. Brush the tops of the tortillas with a little oil. Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar evenly over the top of each tortilla. Cut the tortillas into about 12 wedges. Arrange on a lined baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes until crisp.
- Add all remaining ingredients in a bowl. Stir lightly to combine. Serve immediately.
Serving Size: 6 chips, 3 tbs. salsa; Calories per serving: 138; Fat per serving: 6.7 g
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 351 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 502mg Carbohydrates: 42g Fiber: 11g Sugar: 6g Protein: 8g