Strawberries and Cream Baked Oatmeal
Oatmeal is definitely in my top 3 of my favorite things to eat for breakfast. It’s just comforting and versatile. I love traditional oatmeal recipes and overnight oats too. I’ll basically take oatmeal any way that I can get it!
Baked oatmeal is something I haven’t made too often for the blog, so I wanted to change that! Baked oatmeal is a great alternative when you want or need to take breakfast on the go, but don’t want to have to worry about bringing a bowl or container for it. Baked oatmeal can be cut into convenient squares to take as needed!
It’s been getting warmer here and I’m feeling some spring vibes for sure so went with strawberries and cream oatmeal! This flavor combo is simple, but perfectly sweet and I love adding strawberries to my oatmeal.
For the cream part of the recipe, I used a combination of half and half and milk. You can change this up as needed. You could use heavy cream or a mixture as I did with regular milk. If you don’t want to use dairy milk at all, almond or coconut will also suffice.
I sliced up some fresh strawberries and you can certainly add other berries if desired. I also added some flaxseed meal for added nutritional benefits. You could also stir in nuts and/or chia seeds if that’s your thing!
This is a great recipe to prep ahead and take to work. Store the leftovers in the fridge and just stick in the microwave to warm as needed and you can still enjoy a simple and nutritious breakfast!
Oh and for some added crunch, I sprinkled some additional brown sugar on the top at the very end and stuck it under the broiler for a minute or two. It added a nice little crunch. This step is completely optional!
- 1 cup half and half (or heavy cream)
- 1 cup milk (any kind will work)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 or 7x11 baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the half and half, milk, egg, and the melted butter. Then stir in the oats, sugar, flax, baking powder, and the salt. Stir until combined. Fold in the strawberries.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking dish and spread into an even layer (see note). Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden. Let cool for 5 minutes and cut into squares and serve.
If desired, you can sprinkle on some additional brown sugar on top before baking. Or, you can sprinkle it on at the end and stick the oatmeal under the broiler for a minute or two.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 354mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 4gSugar: 25gProtein: 8g