Spring Pea Pasta
I’m all about easy dinners right now. The less steps, the better! Between trying to figure out how to work from home and homeschooling, dinnertime seems to just creep up out of nowhere. We are still going strong with not going into grocery stores, but getting deliveries is not easy!
We managed to score some spaghetti a few weeks ago and when I realized I had forgotten to take out any meat from the freezer to make with it, I found peas and bacon in the fridge and said that’s good enough for something! Turns out, it was more than good enough because this easy spring pea pasta was super delicious and I could not stop eating it!
You can use fresh peas if you can find them, but I used frozen peas for this. And of course, any kind of pasta that you may have will work in place of spaghetti as I know pasta isn’t super easy to get right now.
I made a light and tangy “sauce” with just the reserved pasta water and some plain Greek yogurt that needed to be used up. You could also use sour cream in its place. Grated Parmesan also adds nice flavor to this pasta dish.
I like to add the crumbled bacon at the very end just before serving. I love the texture that the crispy bacon adds and if you mix it in too early, it will soften from the heat of the pasta. Completely up to you really though!
Of course you can add chicken, shrimp, or other fish if desired to make this a more substantial meal, but I love the simplicity of it as is and found it to still be filling as is! This dish came together for me in about 25 minutes so it’s great for busy weeknights!
- 1/2 pound spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (plus more for serving)
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- Fill pot with water and heat over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Cook spaghetti according to package instructions until cooked. Reserve 2/3 cup of the pasta water and set aside. Drain the cooked spaghetti.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Pour in the reserved pasta water and the yogurt and stir to combine. Let simmer for 1 minute. Add in the peas, Parmesan cheese, and cooked pasta. Toss until the pasta is coated in the sauce. Season with salt and additional cheese if desired. Sprinkled the crumbled bacon on top. Serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 837mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 18g