I’m backkkk! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday with your loved ones! As I mentioned in my last post, my husband and I made the trek from Phoenix to Cleveland last week to spend the holidays with my family. After a long trip like that, a break was certainly needed. Sometimes it is so nice to just not touch your computer for a few days!
This pizza recipe is not holiday-ish…obviously. But, it is freaking delicious! This deep dish spinccoli pizza was inspired by the spinccoli pizza at Pizzeria Uno. It has been years and years since I have last been there, but I used to love their spinccoli pizza and I got a wicked craving for it last week. I have actually never tried making deep dish pizza. One of my favorite things about it is that I feel like I am eating way more veggies than I would with a normal pizza. The filling was really good, but my only complaint was the crust. There was just way too much of it around the edges. So in the photos, please ignore the thickness around the edges. I have cut down the amount of dough in the recipe.
- About 2/3 lb. pizza dough
- 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 14.5-ounce can plain diced tomatoes, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a 9-inch cake pan (or deep dish pizza pan) with parchment paper or grease and set aside.
- In a saute pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the broccoli, spinach, and diced tomatoes. Cook until the broccoli is fork tender (about 7-8 minutes). Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat.
- Place the dough on a floured surface. Roll out into an even circle about 11 inches (about 1-inch thick). Place the dough into the cake pan and push down around the center and edges. Pull the edges up towards the edge of the pan and press against the sides.
- Pour the sauce onto the center of the dough and spread evenly. Sprinkle the cheeses over the sauce, reserving 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup of the cheddar cheese. Spoon the broccoli and spinach mixture on top of the cheeses, Sprinkle the remaining cheese(s) on top of the broccoli and spinach mixture.
- Bake the pizza for about 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown on the bottom and along the sides. Let cool for about 5 minutes, slice, and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 595Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 1299mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 9gSugar: 10gProtein: 23g