Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese
Whenever fall hits, my mind starts going straight to easy and comforting weeknight dinners or lunches. One of my favorite combos? Soup and grilled cheese! It’s definitely grilled cheese season. I hereby declare it. So there.
With it also being football season, I started thinking about one of my all-time favorite party dips, spinach artichoke dip. Who doesn’t love it? A weirdo. That’s who. And then I started thinking about how glorious it would be to turn spinach artichoke dip into a sandwich. And my friends, it is indeed glorious! This is definitely a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich! The filling is made with fresh spinach and artichokes with a touch of creaminess thanks to sour cream or cream cheese (whatever you have on hand!) and then of course is stuffed in a sandwich with jack or provolone cheesy goodness.
Make me this grilled cheese sandwich with a cup of tomato soup and I’ll be in heaven!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- about 3/4 cup artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or plain cream cheese
- salt and pepper
- butter or cooking spray
- 4 slices of bread (your choice)
- 4 slices monterey jack cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the chopped artichoke and cook for another minute or so. Stir in the sour cream (or cream cheese) and season with some salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Spread a light layer of butter (or spray with some cooking spray) on one side of each piece of bread. Heat a grill pan or fry pan over medium heat. Place two slices, buttered side down onto the pan. Place one slice of cheese on top of each piece. Then divide the spinach artichoke mixture evenly amongst each sandwich. Top with the remaining cheese and the other bread slices, buttered sides up. Press down on the sandwich with a large spatula. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until lightly golden. Gently flip the sandwiches over and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes or until the other side is golden and the cheese is melted. Serve.
Serving Size:1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 454