Spicy Sausage and Broccoli Pasta
Being a grad student, we don’t usually get “breaks”. The days of enjoying a nice summer vacation or winter break are long gone! This week is spring break and I am thrilled that my advisor told us to take the week off! Although I still have a lot of writing to do this week, not having to get up super early just to get a stupid parking space on campus is going to be wonderful! I am going to sleep in everyday this week and nobody can stop me!!! Ha!
So this onto this pasta…This recipe comes from my sister-in-law and mother-in-law and is in the cookbook my friends and family gave me for my bridal shower (yeah, remember that book?! I haven’t forgotten about it!)! My mother-in-law made this for us when we were visiting over the holidays and it was quite yummy! And as goes with many of the pasta dishes I post, this one can also be pretty versatile. You can change up the protein and you can change up the veggies you use!
- 1/2 lb. pasta (penne, rotini, or farfalle work well for this)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. spicy pork sausage, casings removed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place broccoli in a steamer basket. Place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water; bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain the pasta, but reserve 1 cup of the liquid.
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up into small pieces until the sausage is browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for about 30 seconds. Add the broccoli and toss to coat.
- Add the pasta and reserved cooking liquid 1/4 cup at a time. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 605Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 1143mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 28g