Spicy Black Bean Soup
So, the holidays are over. I guess it’s time to take down decorations. And before we know it, it will be summer and 118 degrees again here! Could I be more negative and whiny? Didn’t think so. Though I did get a few days to relax over the last two weeks, I still feel like I need another vacation from the vacation, just a few more days to be totally and completely useless and lazy.
You know how I told you that my pantry is a dark hole of doom and despair? Well, I finally started trying to go through it and discovered all kinds of things. Like 10 bags and boxes of pasta (most of which are basically empty), five bags of different types of chocolate chips, three boxes of stale crackers, some expired canned stuff, and lots and lots of cans of black beans. When things get lost in the pantry of doom, I end up buying more and more of them.
Not sure about you guys, but the start of the new year has me wanting to eat clean and simple foods. This spicy black bean soup is the perfect quick soup to prepare, especially with the colder weather. Black beans, a red pepper, onion, garlic, broth and some spices and that’s all you need! Stay warm this weekend!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans unseasoned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (can adjust)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (can adjust)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- toppings: cheese, sour cream, cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, diced avocado
- After draining and rinsing the black beans, take a fork and roughly mash some of the black beans (do not mash them all fully).
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and red peppers. Saute for about 4 minutes until the onion begins to turn translucent. Add in the black beans, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and the salt and the pepper. Mix everything together until the vegetables and beans are coated in the spices. Pour in the broth. Lower the heat, cover, and let the soup simmer for 20-25 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary. Serve with your favorite toppings!
Feel free to adjust the spices and the amounts used in this recipe. You can make the soup less spicy or spicier if desired!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 540mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 7g
Does not include toppings.