Southwestern Cobb Salad
Salads! Salads! Salads! I officially declare it salad season. Actually, that’s kind of silly for me to say because I’m pretty obsessed with salads all year, but it’s warming up and I just want a ton of salads lately loaded with yummy ingredients. My favorite salad? The Cobb! I just love all the toppings on a good Cobb salad, so I decided to make a Cobb salad, but with a southwestern twist! This salad is topped with chicken, hard boiled egg, tomatoes, corn, and black beans – lots of good stuff!
See that creamy and dreamy dressing there?! I made a quick and easy avocado dressing for this salad. It’s a pretty healthy dressing too! There is actually no mayo or oil. All that creaminess comes straight from the avocado. It’s really easy to mix up in a little food processor or blender. If you have leftovers, I do recommend using the dressing within 3 days as it can start to brown.
For the salad:
- 2 eggs, hardboiled, peeled, and diced
- 4 cups chopped greens of your choice
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced (I used rotisserie)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned (or frozen and thawed) corn, drained
- other add-ins: cheese, crumbled bacon, diced avocado, cilantro, etc.
For the dressing:
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup-1/2 cup water (depending on how thick you want the dressing to be)
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the salad, add the chopped greens to a plate or a salad bowl. Then layer the ingredients on top in strips (as pictured).
- To make the dressing, place the avocado, lime juice, cilantro, and garlic powder in a food processor. Pulse until the avocado is pureed. Add 1/4 cup of water and pulse. If dressing is too thick, add additional water until the dressing reaches your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve on salad. Store any leftover dressing in the fridge and use within three days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 271mg Sodium: 631mg Carbohydrates: 44g Fiber: 11g Sugar: 11g Protein: 56g