Southwestern Chicken Pinwheels
Happy Friday, friends! Last week, college football started and now it’s time for pro football and I’m going to keep the snacks coming!
Pinwheels are always the perfect appetizer to bring to any party. They are pretty simple to prepare and there’s a lot of flavor possibilities. Unsurprisingly, these southwestern chicken pinwheels are my favorite since you guys already know that I’m obsessed with all things Mexican or southwestern!
This recipe is pretty flexible with the exception of the cream cheese to salsa ratio. For some reason, my mixture looks more white in these photos, but it should be a light pink color. Note that I recommend using a chunkier salsa. If the salsa you have seems more watery, you might consider using less and adding more as you go, otherwise the mixture may be too watery. I love adding sliced green onion, green bell pepper, and jalapeno because I love the fresh crunch and texture they add to these pinwheels. You can also mix in some black beans and/or black olives if desired! Finally, I just used plain flour tortillas, but you could add more color and flavor by using spinach or tomato-flavored tortillas.
While I made these with football in mind, they also have such a pretty look, they are also perfect for showers or other get-togethers where you need a simple appetizer!
- 1 (8 ounce) package plain cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (like rotisserie)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (or cheddar)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional)
- Other optional add-ins: black beans or black olives
- 4-5 large burrito size flour tortillas
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, salsa, and garlic powder until smooth. Stir in the chicken, cheese, green onion, bell pepper, and the jalapeno (if using) until well-combined.
- Lay out the tortillas. Spread the chicken mixture evenly over each tortilla leaving about 1/2-inch around the edges. Tightly roll each tortilla, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the plastic wrap and slice each tortilla into 1 1/2-2-inch slices. Serve.
Serving Size:about 3 pinwheels
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 340