S’mores Popcorn Balls
It’s moving day in my house today! We are finally headed to California this week and are excited to start a new adventure! I’m a little nervous to see how Maddie handles this transition. Like many toddlers, she doesn’t love change and is VERY particular about sleep. She still sleeps through the night, but only sleeps this well in her own crib, which of course, she is going to be without for a good four nights or so, and doesn’t like to sleep in a room with other people. I know, she’s such a princess! If any of you parents out there have any tips for helping a toddler transition to a new home, I’d love to hear them!
Okay, now it’s time to talk about these S’mores Popcorn Balls. Basically, they rock my world! They are kind of like a Rice Krispie Treat, but with popcorn instead and they are so cute and fun! And they are both kid-friendly and adult-friendly because who doesn’t love s’mores?! I love these for a fun party snack or they would also make great party favors if you wrapped them in a little bag with some fun ribbon and tags!
These popcorn balls aren’t too difficult to make. I highly recommend popping your own fresh popcorn if you can. It’s really easy and just tastes so much better than microwave popcorn! After you have the popcorn ready, it’s basically following the same steps that you would for Rice Krispie treats with melting marshmallows and then mixing in the popcorn and Golden Grahams cereal. I then just stuck in some mini chocolate chips, but you could also drizzle melted chocolate on top if you’d prefer!
S'mores Popcorn Balls
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels (or 8 cups popped)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bag (10-ounces) mini marshmallows
- pinch salt
- 4-5 cups Golden Grahams cereal
- up to 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pot over medium high heat on the stove. Add the kernels and toss to coat in the oil. Cover with a lid. Gently shake the pot back and and forth over the burner. Once the kernels start popping, continue shaking the pot back and forth over the burner. Once the popping almost stops, remove from the heat and carefully remove the lid. Gently pour the popcorn onto a large lined baking sheet.
- Place the pot back onto the heat. Add the butter and let melt completely. Pour in the marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from the heat. Working quickly, add the popped corn back into the pot along with the Golden Grahams. Stir the mixture together until well-coated with the melted marshmallows. Form into 10-12 balls and place onto the baking sheet to cool (Tip: Spray hands with cooking spray before forming to prevent sticking!).
- Allow for the popcorn balls to cool for about 10-15 minutes. Then, sprinkle the chocolate chips over each popcorn ball, gently pressing them into the popcorn. Alternatively, you can also melt the chocolate and drizzle over the top of each popcorn ball. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.