Smoky Butternut Squash Bisque
January is one of the nicest months of the year in Florida. It’s finally cool outside and even pretty cold (well, for Florida, 50s is cold!) some days and nights which makes it the perfect time to get out the soup pot. This Smoky Butternut Squash Bisque is delicious and comforting to enjoy during the colder months.
While some people tend to think of butternut squash as a more seasonal flavor, I love it all year long. It’s packed with antioxidants and is lower in carbs. Some butternut squash soups tend to have a more neutral or sometimes sweeter flavor with cinnamon and nutmeg. This version has a more smoky flavor thanks to the addition of cumin and paprika. I also topped bowls with crumbled bacon and more paprika. It does have some half and half which makes it a bisque, but the soup is still nice and light and would pair well with lots of main dishes. It also is delicious just on its own!
Recipe Tips and Suggestions:
- The most tedious part of prepping this soup is breaking down the squash and dicing. I know some stores sell already diced butternut squash in a bag in the produce section (like Trader Joe’s). If so, you can buy that to save some time!
- I prefer to roast the butternut squash as it gets a bit of caramelization on it. If you prefer, you can also boil it until tender as you would a potato.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of spices to taste!
- This soup does freeze nicely. Add to freezer-safe containers, defrost, and reheat in a pan when ready to eat.
- To garnish, I like to heat some crème fraîche in the microwave and drizzle on top. You can also drizzle a bit of heavy cream or leave out entirely. I also add an additional sprinkle of paprika and top with a small handful of crispy crumbled bacon.
- Toasted pecans are also a good garnish and add texture!
- To make vegan/vegetarian, swap chicken broth for vegetable broth and leave out the crumbled bacon.
Serving Size: 1 bowl (with toppings)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 1102mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 8g