Smashed Chickpea, Avocado, and Pesto Sandwiches
I’ve been on a chickpea kick lately. I love tossing them in salads or roast them for a crunchy guilt-free snack. My other obsession is just to smash them up, mix them with avocado and some pesto and spread it on a sandwich for a super quick and easy vegetarian lunch!
I almost didn’t post this recipe because it’s really barely a recipe, but it’s super yummy and I know I’m always on the hunt for quick and easy lunch ideas whether I’m at home or at work so I thought some of you might be too!
This recipe makes enough for about three sandwiches so it’s also good for meal prepping for a couple of days worth of sandwiches. Just keep in mind that the avocado will start to brown after a day or so. I add a bit of lemon juice to the recipe to keep it more fresh, but if you plan to make this to use over a couple of days, you might want to add a little bit extra lemon juice to prevent it from getting too brown. Keeping it stored in an airtight container in the fridge also helps prevent browning.
I like to eat this chickpea salad with my favorite Ezekiel bread, some lettuce or spinach and fresh sliced tomato for a flavorful and simple lunch!
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 medium avocado*
- 1/4 cup pesto sauce
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 slices wheat bread (I use Ezekiel bread)
- desired sandwich toppings (lettuce or spinach, sliced tomato, etc.)
- Add the drained chickpeas to a bowl. Using a fork or potato masher, roughly smash the chickpeas. Then mix in the avocado, pesto, salt, and lemon juice until combined.
- Divide chickpea mixture between three sandwiches (or store leftovers in a container in the fridge if just making one sandwich). Top each sandwich with desired toppings. Enjoy!
I only added half of an avocado to keep the calories lower on this sandwich, but you can certainly add 1 whole avocado for added creaminess if desired!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 781mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 14gSugar: 1gProtein: 15g
Please note that actual nutrition information may change depending on type of bread that you use or type of pesto. Calculations do not include sandwich toppings.