Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki
Since we have moved to Arizona, we are having a real struggle to find good Chinese food that can be delivered to our house. For me, Chinese food is best when it’s delivered to your house. Every time we call a place that has good reviews, they won’t deliver to our house. It’s like our house is in the ‘No Chinese Food Delivery Zone’. And then the places that will deliver, the food is terrible. We just can’t win. This just means that I am going to have to try to make our favorite take-out dishes at home until we can find a good place that will deliver to our house.
Though I do love take-out Chinese food, we all know it’s not healthy so another benefit to making it at home is that you can control the sodium and other ingredients. After making honey sesame chicken last spring, I have been determined to make more take-out recipes at home. And if I could make them in the slow cooker, that’s even better!
Chicken Teriyaki is another one of my favorite take-out dishes, so I wanted to give it a try. I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out. Make sure you use low-sodium soy sauce, otherwise the chicken will be very salty (and not in a good way).
- 3 lbs. chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tbs. orange marmalade
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tbs. cold water
- 1 1/2 tbs. corn starch
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, cider vinegar, honey, ground ginger, garlic, brown sugar, and the orange marmalade. Pour the mixture over the chicken and cook on low heat for 5-6 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred with a fork. Set aside.
- Dissolve the corn starch in a small bowl with the cold water. Pour the sauce from the slow cooker into a sauce pan. Heat on medium heat. Stir in the corn starch mixture. Bring the sauce to a light boil, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat.
- Place the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker (now turned off or on warm) or into a bowl, Pour the sauce over the chicken and mix until the chicken is covered in the sauce.
- Serve over rice and/or veggies. Garnish with green onion or sesame seeds.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 511Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 1325mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 0gSugar: 28gProtein: 73g