Slow Cooker Baked Beans
I know I just posted my 4th of July Recipe Roundup, but I have one more last minute recipe that I thought you guys might like to have for your parties this weekend!
Baked beans are a classic summer side dish. When it comes to cooking in the summer, I like to do as little as possible, especially during the day when it’s 110 degrees outside. Turning on the oven is often the last thing I want to do! Plus, summer is a time for lots of parties and who has the time to spend in the kitchen all day? Not me! This is where your slow cooker really comes in handy! You can make a large portion, but it doesn’t require much prep work which means you get to spend more time having fun!
One of the tricks to good slow cooker baked beans that I have learned is that you need some water in the slow cooker. When I tried this recipe without the water, the beans end up really drying out. You might think that cooking them on low for 6 hours with water would result in really soggy baked beans, but trust me when I say they are not soggy at all! The water helps keep them from drying out. The other trick is that they need to be stirred every so often to keep them from sticking.
This recipe really couldn’t be easier to prepare and is the perfect side dish for burgers and hot dogs! And I know these were good because my husband had three servings. You know a recipe is good when your husband goes back for more.
- 3 (15-ounce) cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup barbeque sauce
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 4-5 slices cooked bacon, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- Add the drained and rinsed beans to the slow cooker. In a bowl, whisk together the barbeque sauce, dark brown sugar, ketchup, ground mustard powder, water, and the onion until well-combined. Pour the sauce over the beans. Add the bacon (and green pepper, if using) and stir everything together. Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours (or 3 hours on high), stirring every hour or so.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 993mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 6gSugar: 25gProtein: 9g