Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats
The first time I had steel cut oats was at a hotel. I didn’t know what they were, but instantly fell in love with them. I’m a big texture person and steel cut oats are full of wonderful texture! The only bad thing about them is that they take longer to cook than regular oats, so that is why I busted out my slow cooker!
These apple cinnamon steel cut oats are everything. They are warm and comforting and filling and are the perfect breakfast for the family and guests this holiday season. And the best part about them is that you can cook them right in your slow cooker and overnight so that when you wake up, breakfast is all ready to go! Whether you are prepping a big dinner or opening gifts, any breakfast that doesn’t require any morning prep work is the best. We had a chilly weekend last week and waking up to the smell of apple cinnamon was just perfection!
Let’s talk about the cook time on this recipe. The first time I made these, I cooked them for 8 hours overnight. For my slow cooker, this was too long and it burned on the bottom. I have found 6 1/2 hours is ideal for my slow cooker, but keep in mind every slow cooker is different. If you aren’t sure about yours, you can try making this for the first time during the daytime so you can keep an eye on it to figure out the optimal time for your slow cooker.
- 4 cups milk (any kind will do)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium apples (I use honeycrisp), peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 1/2 cups steel cut oats
- nuts for topping (optional)
- Spray a slow cooker with non-stick spray. In a bowl, stir together the milk, butter, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and the salt. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker followed by the diced apples and oats. Stir until well-combined. Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low 6-8 hours on low or 2-4 hours on high.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 389 Total Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 417mg Carbohydrates: 56g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 29g Protein: 5g