Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies
You guys, what happened to the month of December? How is Christmas already in one week?!
This month totally got away from me. I felt like I was ahead of the game on finishing my Christmas shopping and baking, but now I’m starting to feel the pressure to get everything done! It’s officially crunch time and I’ve also got three more Christmas recipes to squeeze in this week!
Just in case you are feeling behind on your holiday baking schedule like me, these slice and bake sugar cookies are the perfect recipe to get things going!
While I love letting my kids decorate the good ol’ cut-out sugar cookies, they can be quite time consuming. I love these slice and bake sugar cookies for cookie trays where you might want to include a sugar cookie, but don’t want to spend all the time decorating them!
Though I’m posting these for Christmas, these are great for any holiday, just swap out the sprinkles! Any sprinkle should work for these, but I like the added crunch the sugar crystal sprinkles add to these.
If you are planning to give these a go, do note that they need to be chilled before slicing. I like to chill my dough for a minimum of 4 hours, but you could even chill them overnight.
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl of an electric or hand mixer. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract until just combined. Then, add in the flour until combined. Set aside.
- Cut a large (or two medium-sized) pieces of plastic wrap. Pour sprinkles onto the plastic wrap.
- Form the dough into a log, about 10" long. Carefully roll the log of cookie dough into the sprinkles until it is well-covered, adding more as needed. Roll the plastic wrap up and tight around the cookie dough log. Chill the dough for at least 4 hours, if not overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. Remove the plastic wrap from the dough. Use a sharp knife to slice the dough into approx. 1/4-inch thick slices and arrange on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden on the bottom.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 28mg Sodium: 64mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 6g Protein: 1g