Skinny Tuna Noodle Casserole
Tuna is a staple in my house. It’s one of the only things my 4 year old will eat for lunch. I was organizing our pantry recently and found way too many cans of tuna in there. I started thinking about it’s been a million years since I’d last had classic tuna casserole! The only problem with the classic version is that it’s often made with canned, processed soups which I don’t like to eat too much of!
I wanted to create a lighter version of the classic American favorite that didn’t require any canned soups. This sauce for this recipe is quite simple. We start with cooking up some shallots, mushrooms, and peas. Then I toss in some flour, broth, milk, and a touch of white wine. The sauce thickens, some cheese goes in, and then everything goes into the oven to bake until bubbly!
This casserole is a great weeknight meal as it only requires about 10-15 minutes of active cook time. You can also freeze it before baking if you want to prep it for another night! And best of all, it’s under 300 calories and 9 grams a fat per serving!
- 10 ounces medium egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 8 ounces diced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/3 cups 1% milk
- 2 tablespoons white wine (optional)
- 5 ounces shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
- 2 (5-ounce) cans tuna, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- cooking spray
- Prepare egg noodles according to package directions until al dente. Drain when cooked.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. While the pasta is cooking, Add the butter to a saute pan over medium high heat. Add the shallot and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the diced mushrooms and peas and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the flour to the vegetables and stir until well-coated in the flour. Stir in the chicken broth, milk, and the wine (if using). Lower the heat to medium low. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until the sauce thickens. Stir in the cheddar cheese until melted. Then, add the cooked egg noodles and tuna to the pan. Stir until combined.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer the noodle mixture to the baking dish. In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil and bread crumbs. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top of the casserole (if the breadcrumbs seem dry, spray with additional cooking spray).
- Bake uncovered for approximately 25 minutes until the casserole is bubbly. To fully brown the breadcrumbs, switch oven to broil and broil for 1-2 minutes until the top is golden. Remove from the oven. Serve.
Serving Size:1/6th of the casserole
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 433mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 20g