Skinny Bitch Tuesdays: Coconut Macaroons
It’s official. This is the last year of my 20’s. This is my last year of feeling like I’m not really an adult yet. I don’t know why, but I just think when I am 30, I might finally feel like a grown up. Maybe…
Today is the second-to-last Skinny Bitch Tuesday. This week, Michelle chose the coconut macaroons (not to be confused with a macaron). This was actually my first time making macaroons and I was surprised how simple and light these cookies are! Being made with egg whites, they resemble a meringue, but with coconut thrown in! I also drizzled some chocolate on top of mine. These cookies are a great, lower fat, and gluten free treat! They are a little crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside!
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 10. oz. sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (can also use almond extract)
- pinch of salt
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, beat the egg whites and salt until the egg whites begin to stiffen. Gradually add in the sugar and continue beating the egg whites until stiff peaks appear.
- Gently fold in the coconut flakes and vanilla extract.
- Drop the batter by the spoonful on a baking sheet prepared with parchment paper or a baking mat. Bake for approximately 12 minutes or until the coconut is lightly browned. If your cookies still feel too soft, lower the temperature of the oven 200 degrees and continue to bake the cookies until they harden.
- In a microwave safe bowl or over a double boiler, melt the chocolate. Dip the bottom of the cookies into the melted chocolate or drizzle over the top of each cookie. Place cookies on wax paper until the chocolate dries.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 77Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 41mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g
Don’t forget to check out what the other Skinny Bitch gals made!
Claire of The Realistic Nutritionist
Jennifer of Peanut Butter and Peppers